What Toots Your Horn?

Congratulations @evooba :tada::tada: This is excellent news! So happy for you! And can’t wait to see your new tattoo!

Enjoy the cd @theearlywalker!

2 Likes

Awesome dude :muscle:t3:

That voice though :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Brilliant article on consciousness. @AJ_7 You may like this as well, it’s from Psychology Today

And another, more practical one

2 Likes

This website is brilliant! It is generally very reliable. Some of the views though are author specific, so just be careful. It is also dependant on what some of the authors believe to be true so they push that type of research onto the reader without giving the whole story with differing views. I am generally up to date with their latest articles. The issue with consciousness is how do we measure it? Consciousness itself is a very complicated topic with many unanswered questions. A single article won’t do justice to all the different views. I love this topic, I did a whole module on it and I feel I still don’t know anything about it. When measuring consciousness, can one person’s experience be generalized to a whole population? What are ethical ways to measure consciousness?

Some believe it is a result of the complexity of the brain itself, and therefore is an illusion and doesn’t really exist. Others say it has a biological basis and very real. Others say it’s what spirit is. And some say there is a link with biological and psychological, so basically a mixture. I can go on, but I should stop myself before everyone falls asleep :joy:

Thanks for the tag, @rickvanmeijel! Love this topic

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining, I’m aware that the articles may be biased depending on the author, but so is every single written text when you think about it.

Don’t stop, I think it’s super interesting! Personally, I agree with the ideas discussed in this article that consciousness is real and exists outside of ourselves. Though I have no idea how to measure it. Maybe we simply aren’t able to as human beings?

2 Likes

So…ummm…I kind of caved and went for it. I blame my dad, he walked in on me making the models and said that if I plan on buying them eventually, I might as well buy them now. So that’s what I did. :joy:

As of now, I can only use one monitor at the moment (I’ve only got 1 HDMI port, which seems to be 1 more than most laptops these days), I’m still waiting for the Thunderbolt dock to come in. I’ll post more about it in my thread when the dock comes in.

@jrtrussell, my janky model was actually fairly accurate, given that I eyeballed it. I got it to within 5-6mm :joy:

6 Likes

That looks hella clean :flushed:
I’ve never paid attention to setups like that :thinking:
You can work stuff on all three at the same time? :thinking:

The popsicles :joy: they offend @jrtrussell :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s the point, the Thunderbolt dock will reduce everything to one cable (the mess of wires connecting to the dock will be under the desk lol). The 3 screens, charging and audio will all be on the one port. That means I just disconnect one cable when I take the laptop with me and I get to have my stock charger in my bag so I don’t have to keep crawling under my desk to un-tangle it.

That’s the plan, from all the research and digging I did, I can run all 3 screens at once. I’ll be kind of screwed if I can’t. :joy:

But his life is built on them. :joy:

3 Likes

:hushed:
The thunderbolt dock charges the laptop?
That’s me squeezing under the desk :neutral_face:

Nah you can catch the game on one, do your work on the other and game on the third :joy:

According to him it’s balsa wood - b-a-l-s-a wood :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, thunderbolt ports are basically USB turned up to 11. You can daisy-chain upto 6 devices per port. That’s why the Macbooks only come with them (the downside being that it’s a USB-C connector and most devices are still running USB A, hence dongles [Note: it’s a physical USB connector, but doesn’t use the USB protocol, TB is the protocol]). Not all thunderbolt docks charge obviously, and the ones that do come in different varieties and charge rates. I went for one that is the same as my stock charger. So 130W output at 6.67A, but the dock itself is rated for 240W input. It comes with a massive power brick. I didn’t want to risk going for a lower power one incase it got overloaded or something.

Your alienware also has a TB port, but given the gigantic power brick it already comes with, I don’t think it can charge over TB.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: no architecture student would be caught dead with balsa Chief. :joy: Probably the worst modeling material. It’s mad light and can’t be cut cleanly, knifes just crush it. Bass wood is definitely the preferred wood for dowels.

And I respect @the_termin8r’s popsicle stick grind. I haven’t used them to model in a long time, but in my day I’ve built countless popsicle stuck bridges and houses.

2 Likes

Word of advice, don’t try to superglue cotton buds together. The glue reacts and creates hot fumes, then it creates invisible fumes that are murder on the eyes. I have firsthand experience from a few years back. :joy:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:
It got you to pop out in here though

The outraaage of me having said balsa :joy:

Someday your parents are gonna walk into you unconscious on your desk :rofl:

1 Like

Closer to dead. Like I’ve said before, I don’t have suicidal tendencies, but I’m most likely to die through suicide. Unintentional suicide while doing something idiotic. :rofl:

3 Likes

Not really funny but lmao

1 Like

10 Likes

Thanks for the card, @AJ_7.

20190927_114720

11 Likes

Yaaay :tada::tada::tada: me too :heart::kissing_heart::hugs::hugs::hugs: thanx dear!! You made my day :hugs::yellow_heart: @AJ_7

10 Likes

Thank you @AJ_7!! :smiley:

10 Likes

Wow, that was really fast! No problem at all! So glad you all got it :hugs::hugs:!

3 Likes