What grinds your gears?

Well clearly you must be that badass that has ‘f*ck off’ written on their face the people know to stay away from :wink:

1 Like

LMAO Well I guess, yes it is a natural born gift :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Damn it:

Nvm

I won

1 Like

Congrats! No work today you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Waiting for a certain Patricia lol

Why no vowel

So Many Pats :blush:lol just Bad Timing again :hugging: with me

Is that scrabble? I never understood how to play that game.

No matter what, musicians can be tricky and weird or whatever. They’re usually softies though once you get to know them.

As for the smoking part, if you’re outside in the backyard, don’t leave the damn door open lol.

lol :joy: hahaha

It’s kinda: smash your opponents with the power of your mind/erudition.

Tickle in the nose without being able to sneez :anger:

1 Like

I can’t stand this thing that has come into play in modern society where you can’t say a single word without “offending” some party and then said party screaming bloody murder about the smallest of things.

Here’s an example (Look no further than mk2 TG for all sorts of ‘controversies’ where some softies got a little butthurt over a joking comment).

2 Likes

My big sisters played that game with me all the time when I was a kid. Each player has a supply of letters on little square chips and they take turns spelling out words on the board, building off the words in place in the same way a crossword puzzle is constructed. Each time you spell out a word, you replenish your letters to the default allowed amount (7 or 8, I think) by randomly selecting more from the bank of letters until all are gone. You get points for words based on adding up the assigned values of letters in a word you spell (obscure consonants like “X” have higher value than common vowels), and also by including bonuses from spaces on the board (“double word score,” or “triple letter score” for example), which multiply the value of either an individual letter, or the entire word by 2 or 3.

Naturally, players benefit from having an extensive vocabulary. Both my sisters had English degrees (I got one later too, coincidentally), so we were able to have some excellent matches. A dictionary was always on hand for consulting to “challenge” the other player’s word if it sounded made up, heehee.

1 Like

I like to think I have a decent vocabulary, at least compared to others in my generation. I think it’s because English isn’t my mother tongue (that’s Bulgarian) so I had to learn the language but I genuinely wanted to learn it not like other foreigners that come over and expect us to know their language.

2 Likes

Wow, Bulgarian? I never would have guessed that English wasn’t your first language. Yes, from your posts, you always have seemed very well-spoken to me. And yes, especially for a younger person. The prolific spread of internet and texting slang has had a bit of an adverse effect on the communication skills of some younger people these days, I think.

When I got my English degree 4 years ago, I also minored in Japanese. While never fluent, I can still pull off some basic phrases and pronounce Japanese words correctly.

daigaku de ninen nihongo o benkyoushimashita.

That’s “I studied Japanese (language) for two years in college.” I could write it in hiragana if my keyboard had the characters, heh. Anyway, I studied Japanese because I’ve always been fascinated with the culture, and also have practiced karate for a long time.

2 Likes

I know like 3 words at best in Japanese. I haven’t been back to Bulgaria in over 13 years and the only Bulgarian contact I have is my immediate family. As a result my English is miles better. Also I’ve learned to speak a weird Bulgarian / English hybrid language lol.

1 Like

I tried to learn Japanese a few years ago, dropped it after a while cause it was too hard to do on my own. I’m glad I still remember some stuff though.

Yeah, it’s pretty difficult to learn for someone whose original language is English or another Latin-based language. Aside form the unique syllables, grammatical conventions, and verb forms, you also have all the hiragana, katakana, and (hundreds of) kanji characters to become familiar with in order to be able to read or write the language well. Learning it all is a huge time sync.

You could call it Bulglish.

Care to recite a phrase?