The stupid question thread

It’s an acronym we use here to remember the order of operations for a mathematical equation

PEMDAS = Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction

3 Likes

Are you sure?
Don’t you work your way out of the equation starting from the parentheses?

For me it’s:
8/ 2(2+2)
=8/ 2(4)
=8/ (8)
=1
:thinking:
Naturally it’s my way of working a problem if it were variables :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

2(4) is the same as 2x4
If it were (2x4) then it would be given priority but the parenthesis are representing multiplication in this case so it goes left to right.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That’s what I thought :thinking::crazy_face:

Ok to be fair

1 Like

Just watched a video explaining that it equaled 16. Also saw this in the comments.

2 Likes

Lol don’t go looking for iiiiit…
I wanted to hear others comment :expressionless::joy:

I’m just playing devils advocate because I saw arguments about it elsewhere :sweat_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Lol chief. I can’t take being told I’m wrong when it comes to math. :joy: I was about to write an entire dissertation on why it’s 16 with MLA formatted sources and everything :rofl:

1 Like

The equation on the left is incorrect. That would be 8/(2(2+2)).

Fully simplified it would be:
8 x (1/2) x (2+2)

1 Like

It’s just poorly written
I did learn one thing though, there’s another thing taught by teachers :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Idk wtf bodmas is :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway, maybe you need the dissertation because there’s some that are adamant it’s 1 :joy:
There’s people with math degrees and crap saying it’s 1 too :joy:

I’ll fight you to the death on this one :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s not incorrect per se tho! It’s making the assumption that you have to distribute the y therefore it’s attatched to the parentheses :roll_eyes:

I would guess that BODMAS is just another term for PEMDAS. This is still wrong tho. People who think it’s 1 don’t understand that parenthesis are only given priority when the operation happens within them.

2 Likes

Lmao I was hoping rob was here for this :rofl:
@IronSoldier16! Teecher!

‘Mere bro!

Bodmas is another way of teaching it apparently
Brsckets(parentheses)
Orders
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

That’s where my next question is, who the eff is being taught that way?

And I stand by my thought process, when writing it with variables, you have to assume you’re going to distribute the variable before being able to divide the x by it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

You wrote it as if it were 1/(y+y). The only number being divided is the 2 outside the parenthesis.

As for the distributive property I was stumped for a while a did a little research. The distributive property only works when the equation is set up a(b x c). This equation isn’t unless you consider 8/2 to be a. If so then:

(8/2)(2+2)
The (8/2) is distributed to both positive 2s in the parenthesis to equal:
8+8=16

https://www.wyzant.com/resources/answers/384485/why_don_39_t_you_use_the_distributive_property_when_calculating_6_2_1_2

2 Likes

Well done :joy:
I can’t argue that :thinking:
Maybe someone else will but I grew up with the left to right too
Somehow it still feels off
I still say it’s poorly structured as it’s presented

1 Like

Yea. The way it’s presented with the parenthesis is intended to throw people off.

2 Likes