The stupid question thread

I doubt it was purposeful, more like just a problem made by a prof without thinking it would be argued :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen similar problems around before. Someone prob realizes the easy mistake people could make and shared it with their friends until it went viral.

2 Likes

My flatmate and I were trying to understand this last night. She said 16, I said 1.

To be fair, I do think the equation is wrong on purpose to make everyone confused. Theyā€™re all just messing with us.

1 Like

16, just apply BODMAS.

Calculators can be finicky with brackets sometimes, you have to enter them properly, even if you think itā€™s unncessary. My newest calculator even adds in the brackets it thinks you missed when you hit =. If you enter the equation properly itā€™s fine. I never use the divide button anyway, Iā€™m used to writing things as fractions.

As opposed to me where Iā€™m just flat-out terrible. lol

Brackets Order Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction

I am now. When youā€™ve got brackets, you work from the inside out. If you have brackets, in brackets, in brackets, you start from the inner most ones.

Pretty much everyone.

2 Likes

I would say 1.

I take it you didnā€™t read the other replies. lol

2 Likes

I would say that myself. Right or wrong. Whatever the others say.

Ok, but the answer is actually 16.

2 Likes

So I was wrong. Iā€™ll think it over after Iā€™m home.

After 4 days I came to read this.

I didnā€™t read everything, I lost interest quickly. Anyway, what @jrtrussell said about operate from left to right is true and follow that rule the answer is 16.

If we skip that, then the answer is 1.

My conclusion is: F**k that man! Iā€™m not an engineer :rofl:

Now seriously, to me it is 1, that was my first thought.

3 Likes

I think thatā€™s the intent. Itā€™s meant to trick people. People initially think one bec of the parenthesis but after re looking at it and correctly following PEMDAS (or BODMAS) you realize itā€™s 16.

1 Like

It shouldnā€™t. What happens is that people tends to forget that rule (from left to right) and then they get another answer.

1 Like

Yea. Thatā€™s the point. It went viral because it trips a lot of people up. Itā€™s just a brain teaser to trick ur friends.

1 Like

It would be more viral if the creators were used fruits or flowers instead number LOL.

means???

2 Likes

Brackets. ()

3 Likes

() ā† those are parenthesis
theyā€™re used in mathematic either to mean multiplication or to show an operation within the equation that is given priority

2 Likes

got it! thanks @the_termin8r @jrtrussell . Actually we never used those words. did math simply lol

3 Likes

Brackets are both incredibly important and incredibly useful.

1 Like

We use them in math as well as in writing.