Post Traumatic EP by Mike Shinoda - Out Now

I was so happy to read that! These new songs are really good. So much emotion from Mike. I’m happy he used song and art to express himself. Can’t wait to hear more :heartpulse:

4 Likes

The first time I heard the songs, i was so upset and didn’t know if i was ready to listen to it again.
Then Mike’s talk on twitter calmed me down.
I thought going to bed earlier but I couldn’t stop thinking about these songs. I bought the EP and now I’m listening to it until I stop crying because I just can’t sleep. My favorite song is over again.
The LP news is good so I’m happy with that.

4 Likes

More than anything else, it’s just good to see Mike’s finding positive devices for coping and moving forward. It’s also so powerful for him to be sharing this with the community as it helps us mourn alongside Mike.

Place To Start actually felt really relatable beyond grieving. I have had issues with my mental health over the past few years and a lot of what he describes is exactly what I have gone through / am going through.

It’s also really special for him to put these songs out as quickly as he did, they feel so relevant, fresh, and raw.

So much aroha out to you Mike & to the LPU community, let’s continue traveling this road together, one step at a time.

8 Likes

Because it’s completely inconceivable for members of a band to do projects outside of said band…Linkin Park members have literally been doing side projects for their entire career.

Not the same thing.

I actually thought the same thing as @rickvanmeijel , similar sound at the end, “watching as I fall” also has a similarly linkin park “flavored” ending…

Merely pointing similarity, obviously not a copy.

@mariolzz had a valid opinion which many believed to be a possibility. It’s literally happened to many bands before

4 Likes

Wow - just wow - trying hard not to feel like, I dunno - is my heart breaking all over again…oh…ffs.

Watching as I Fall - definitely the strongest out of the three for me. The end spooked me, as it referenced some of LPs typical signature style…and of course the concert ending you guys mentioned.

I’ve only played it once - it’s already wormed it’s way into my brain…I’m hitting repeat…
Wonder if there is a copy of the twitter feed…that’s the next stop…

4 Likes

I heard it just once yesterday and after Over Again, I couldn’t anymore, all of it is so heavy for me. I envy you who are able to play it on repeat.

But I wanted and managed to listen to it today for the second time, while reading the lyrics carefully. It’s such a mirror into his soul. It’s powerful, all of it. We’re coping with this all together. On Twitter, Mike says that CB was the second person (after his wife) he spent the most time in his life with. It’s so hard on him, now I feel like I share the burden with him in full.

5 Likes

This @astatslpvids. I don’t know if it was Mike’s intention but it sure sounds similar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been stuck with some thoughts and strong feelings about this since listening to them, and I didn’t know where else to share, ‘cause I was afraid people would think I wasn’t happy with the new songs, or happy for other fans who are so excited about it.
For many, this was one of the best days/experiences since the Hollywood Bowl show, but for me, it was the complete opposite… I’ve had the biggest breakdown in a long time while listening/watching these. During Over Again, I honestly couldn’t breathe. With each second passing, I wanted the song to stop. It was the double pain of losing Chester, and seeing someone else you care about, Mike, suffering with it. It’s so raw, agressive, emotional. It only goes to show how good the songs are, what an exceptional job he did putting those feelings out there. But I couldn’t feel excited about the future after listening to them. I spent hours crying. I know Mike used these as an outlet for grief, and they certainly helped him feeling better, but I couldn’t get past the pain I was feeling about Chester, and the pain I was seeing Mike in, during those songs. I just wanted the whole experience to end right there, because I can’t see any of the boys in pain.
So, during the rest of the day, I kept beating myself up for not feeling excited, for not being able to listen to them on repeat, like I was feeling guilty about it. I always put that extra pain on myself, it’s one of the characteristics of my depression. And I didn’t want to write about it, or tell anyone, because I didn’t want people to think I was being selfish and didn’t want to see anyone happy about it. It’s honestly not that. :’)
I hope this makes sense for at least some of you, and I honestly hope I’ll be able to listen to the songs one day and actually enjoy them, instead of hating the whole experience. :’)

5 Likes

I makes complete sense, @yomarques. I also had problem listening to the songs and experience similar feelings as you did, not so strong though.
Don’t be afraid to tell what you feel, we all suffered with the loss and we all are still dealing with it our own way. Some of us need to move on and be happy with the new songs and some of us were not able to move on yet. Just like you and me. It’s grief, there is no ‘should’, no rules to follow.
Don’t worry, you just do whatever you need to do to get through this pain and don’t beat yourself up for being completely human. Hugs to you :hugs:

4 Likes

I agree. Everyone processes grief in their own way, no need to be ashamed of yourself. And music is pretty much subjective, if you don’t like it, don’t listen to it.

5 Likes

Thanks, guys. I should note that I don’t hate the songs, I love them. They describe everything perfectly. I’m just unable to enjoy the experience of listening to them right now :’)

8 Likes

Take your time listening to them @yomarques. As they mentioned, everyone has a different way of processing it. I am sure you will be fine listening to them whenever you are ready. Just listen for when you tell yourself you are ready :smiley: :hugs:

5 Likes

This also speaks to different reasons for listening to music in general (eg, dancing, pure enjoyment, intellectual stimulation, processing trauma or grief, nostalgia, etc). If you’re looking for one and not in the right headspace for another, then there’s no reason to force yourself. I definitely need to psyche myself into listening to the PT EP, and can’t just leave it on repeat either because of how raw it is still. This band has been a huge part of our lives for a long time and this is a sad, tragic, and sudden change, and this here is some of the first music to force you to face that

8 Likes

That’s so true. Again, thank you all for understanding. I love this family so much.
And I hope you all can enjoy them as well, if you’re still not feeling that <3

8 Likes

Finally got a chance to come here. The site keeps crashing on my iPad, but now it doesn’t, asshole iPad. So… after first listening I was like I didn’t even know what to say. In the middle of the second time came the sorrow and anger. I really love the songs. But they are so hard to listen. I can feel that he has poured his heart out there. I feel so bad for him, for them. I hope assume this desperation will turn into strength soon, cause there was so much balls behind those songs.

2 Likes

Your words are just so honest Catia, thanx for your trust. I guess that these songs- in their deepness are triggerering our stucked and frozen emotiones we kept down since this unbelivable incident that came from out of nowhere- we kept them down cause they have potential to kill us- doing this makes us overcome and step on- to handle our normal lifes …

Now with these songs- which are showing and make us feel the pure and raw feels of Mike - the pain- the anger- the dissapointment- the madnesses (… to be continued ) that the incident caused. it’s his way of letting his pressure and weakness and whatever more go- and what happens now is that his music triggers our frozen feels- and - and that’s the biggest gift in it: make them flow again- and with each tear it can flow out… and make the pain maybe a bit less… I felt the same - cried and laughed same time - thinking: now I finally lost my mind- but same time feeling sooo happy about the universal sign he set with these shares: we step on- it’s painful but a very strong sign - that makes me feel right the way I feel and him on twitter then was like: we are connected and united - forever :heart:

6 Likes

Thanks for your honesty as well, dear. I appreciate it :relaxed:
And I agree with what you said. Hopefully with time I’ll be able to not focus too much on the pain I’m seeing in the songs, but more how they can be a huge help to relieve that same pain. Regardless of how much time it might take for that to happen, yes, we are united and connected :heart:

3 Likes

Mike is just a genius. Similarly to other LP songs, after a couple of days I found that PT has stuck in my head the whole day!

Well this was unexpected, considering what effect it had on me yesterday and the day before. It’s still so hard to listen but I had to listen again nevertheless. Guess this album will get into my tracklist after all :slight_smile:

4 Likes