Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

Lol I think everyone thinks everyone is a dude until proven otherwise :joy:, haven’t been mis-gendered yet though!!

3 Likes

You’re a girl?!! :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

My gosh - that was a throwback to the 80’s…LOL …Aussies, no surprises there…

2 Likes

This sort of thing happens every time someone is revealed to be a girl. I found out the other week through the context of one of your posts. :joy:

Back to the topic, my hp is about 5 years old, my dad’s is about 7 or 8 and they work fine for the most part. Hell even my mum’s ancient hp with a pentium still works, but it’s so dated that we don’t use it, it’s an emergency laptop.

4 Likes

Sit rep:

So I spoke with HP, they’ll send me a replamemt this Wed and will pick up the faulty one at the same time. If the replacement behaves the same way then I’m getting a refund.

In the meantime I’m running a multiscreen setup :joy: :joy:

20171201_124145

4 Likes

They seem to learn from those mistakes, putting 100$ AKG into S8 box.

1 Like

Really? Hmm, I wonder if they’re any good, also I hope the ergonomics are better. The only issue now is build quality, being AKG they will fall apart in about a year. AKG have decent to good sound quality but build quality is lacking. Both my dad and sister’s AKGs are falling apart. My dad’s to the point where he can’t use them. All the Sennheisers in the house are in one piece, all the ones that died have died after a lot of use.

2 Likes

The reason is that Samsung bought Harman Kardon and AKG is a part of it (same as JBL).

2 Likes

Guys, I just started getting this green line on the right of my desktop on the old laptop. It’s only on the desktop and it didn’t go away after I restarted.

You have to open the pic

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out what it was. After the update my background settings were changed and it was set from ‘fill’ to ‘fit’ and the background colour I had set for the solid colour option was coming from behind the pic.

2 Likes

lol

PANIC…then…oh.
I think you need to step away from the computer(s) for an hour - they are trying to drive you insane @the_termin8r!

Huh - they are AKG earphones…well, I didn’t even bother looking at them - I just got my SoundMagic e10s out and that was that. Maybe I should chuck them in my work bag for emergencies…

Not panic, just irritation. W10 drives me mad with rage.

2 Likes

Is your table alright ? :joy:

4 Likes

Yes, my table is fine :stuck_out_tongue: I’m dealing with W10, not tiny transistors.

1 Like

Wooow!! :scream: I want it! We’ve got 4 GB one…

I too never liked it… i hate it… 7 and 8 better

Apple fanboy ! :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue: Kidding bro!

Oh heating problem… I remember my brother… he bought thermal past for that… it worked till some days perfectly but not later.

Looks like that while reading this thread… somewhere ahead you may have posted 100 century! Lol… :stuck_out_tongue: exchange it! It just doesn’t work for ya!

Damn true!! The current one with me is HP model as well… it had 2GB RAM… i mean literally! My bro change to RAM card with other laptop… lucky that they get exchanged… and the hard disk as well… we had to exchange both of them to make it work fine… old one just get heated up fast and then shuts down automatically

Yep! :joy:

Looks nice! Multi screen :joy:

Perfect question!! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

It means you are more angered with resistors?! Lol

2 Likes

So this thread vanished too for a bit.

That’s not a rubbish laptop, just ancient by the sounds of it. My mum’s ancient HP has a 2GB pentium and it works fine apart from the ruined battery. But as I said before, that’s only an emergency laptop.

No, why would I be angry at resistors? Actually I have nothing against transistors too. What I do have a problem with is having to solder SOT-23s.

Anyway, they picked up the cooker today, now I need to wait for the replacement.

3 Likes

Replacement laptop came in, still setting up but it’s back to business as usual. I’m going to monitor it for a couple of days to see if it improves.

1 Like

this means it works propper?

Nope, it was frying up again. Take a look at the temps.

Update: It’s been idling for maybe over an hour now as it downloads all my onedrive stuff and it’s been at about 40 which is a good sign, hopefully temps will remain reasonable while in use. The only other issue I have with it is the jack crackling again, that’s not something I will put up with in the long run if the rest of it works properly.

2 Likes

the hell is wrong with that… do you have different cables to test?