For the petrolheads

Well, McLaren’s new 720S is out today.

4L, Twin turbo V8. 710 BHP and a huge 770 NM of torque. Weight for some reason has not been released, but if I had to estimate I’d say between 1200 and 1400 Kg. 0-60 in 2.9 and a top speed of 212 MPH, this thing is probably a destroyer of words (as all McLs are) and it certainly sounds like one. However, the styling really doesn’t sit well with me (the proportions look wrong from the side but it’ll eventually grow in me). The interior however looks really pleasant.

Another funny thing is that with this car they proved that the P1 is useless (again) and that they peaked with the F1 :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/fit_1960x1102/public/images/big-read/carousel/2017/03/acc3a5eace52c43e405e1926002e137c/high_rear_3_4_b.jpg?itok=RVJjygC
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--oKWgY61
–/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/zxpx86jfrcmxzmkbofpa.jpg
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--jn2QDpTQ--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/yr9nnscbfy8kqi715zwe.jpg
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1suMJb73--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/nhbg2b7kiqbakhvadkdr.jpg
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--2cxUpBCU--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/s96pih4pckws7mrnkcwg.jpg

EDIT / UPDATE: After a little digging I found that it weighs 1283 Kg which is very light for a car. It’s only 53 Kg heavier than the 675 and 18 Kg lighter than the 650 that it is replacing.

Yet more news from McLaren. They seem to be working on a new king of the hill / destroyer of worlds. They’re calling it the BP23 for now. BP standing for Bespoke Project, the 2 for the second such project (the first being the F1) and the 3 for the number of seats (like the F1). Hopefully all of this F1 inspiration will make it another top speed record smasher to put Bugatti and Hennessy in their place. the only details we have for now is that it will have a hybrid system (something I’m not a fan of).

This will never end.

1 Like

Is it strange that this is actually one of the more “decent” looking ones compared to the others?

Not strange. They actually changed the whole body kit here. It has some harmony to it, as I see it. I bet, there’s something more inside.

If it is indeed a bit tuned (nothing extreme obviously) I hope the power isn’t going to the rear wheels, because look at how small that contact patch is between the tyre and road. Stretched tyres are truly stupid. They have zero benefits other than aesthetics (I personally think they are hideous on any car).

It was great day for car spotting today. I went to the Imperial War Museum again only to find out that there was a car meet being held there. The cars weren’t as great as you’d think since there was nothing more expensive than £60K (apart from a single Ferrari 360 spyder), none the less I saw quite a few classic muscle cars. I also saw a lot of stuff on the road too.

On the road:
Lambo Aventador
Lambo Huracan
Aston Vanquish (the current one)
Ferrari FF
Shelby Cobra
Aston DB9 Volante
Aston DB7 Volante
Pontiac Firebird TransAm (leaving the meet).

At the meet:
A load of Loti
A load of TVRs (including a Tasmin)
A load of Mustangs including several classics
A few Corvettes and Camaros
A couple of GT-Rs (R33 & 35)
Another Cobra
A Buick riviera
A Jag E type (convertible and hard top)
And a bunch of other kind of underwhelming cars.

And then you had a bunch of idiots who turned up with regular Vauxhalls/Opels/ Holdens and even bigger idiots in Chrysler PT cruisers.

Pics of the highlights:

Mk3 Lotus Elise S Cup 250:

TVR Sagaris:

Buick Riviera:

1972 Camaro Z28:

I would have loved to see something more exotic like a Jag XJ220 or a McLaren F1 or something along those lines, but owners of cars like that are sadly too chicken to take them out of their garages :confused:

Damn! That 71’ Riviera is my favorite of American Classic. Lucky day for you, Rob!

1 Like

Yeah, definitely a highlight, I’ve always wanted to see one.

I love American muscle cars. Camaro’s, Mustangs, Vipers, Corvettes, I adore them all. My favourite car of all time is actually a 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 (AKA Eleanor from the Gone in 60 Seconds films).

If I recall there was one of those there too, and a Mach 1 and several fastbacks as well as a few C3 stingrays.

1 Like

I’d like to see 57’ Chevy Nomad and Tucker Torpedo.

1 Like

I’d love to see a Torpedo as well.

I’m starting to take back what I said about the 720 looking ugly. It looks ugly from the angles take on the McLaren site, I saw it in a review yesterday and it looked awesome from their angles.

My fav angle, looks epic from here IMO:

Full video:

Quite the same about new Mustang GT. I didn’t like it’appearance till I saw it on the street.

I’ve never been that big a mustang fan.

When NFS UG2 is your favorite game:

3 Likes

McLaren just obliterated the Nurburgring Nordschleife lap record for road legal cars with the P1 LM. The previous record holder was the NIO EP9 with a time of 7:05.12, the insane and almighty non road legal (and not legal on most tracks either) Zonda R did a 6:47.50 some years ago. The road legal McLaren just did it in 6:43.22 :open_mouth: I officially like the P1.

1 Like

Forgot to post that day:

Looks like maybe the result of a crash test? Or is it not?

1 Like