The Tavern - Open 24/7

me too, fresh and spicy kitchen
but I get known the afganisch kitchen more and more, it´s really simple, but spicy. We´ve sm refugees here in our village and we helped them a bit, their cultural modus of saying “Thank you” is cooking for you, and so from time to time I come home late from work, and our refugee-friend Kayrulha is bringing or just brought food, so nice and, and thats the reason for the whole story, I´m on the way that afganise kitchen became favorite at the last time for me. Today Kayrulha brought applepie, it´s apple season here in Germany, so delicious, If I could share, I would :yum:

I had Chinese for lunch today. I had a seafood and veg mix and 2 hot and sour soups (best soup ever).

Soups are the best on cold and rainy days, I love this warming up from the inside… :yum:

So cool!! I want to try Pho one day, I’ve heard it’s amazing!

Bitterballen are actually mini kroketten :stuck_out_tongue:

Kroketten and Bitterballen (plural of bitterbal) are a savoury Dutch meat-based snack, typically containing a mixture of beef or veal (minced or chopped), beef broth, butter, flour for thickening, parsley, salt and pepper, resulting in a thick roux.

They are named bitterballen because some guy wanted a nice snack with his beer and a kroket was too big. Thus they came with the smaller version and named them bitterballs, because they are balls to snack alongside a bitter drink.

But I just eat them without the beer though. They are great on a bun with musterd. Or just like they are. They are so great. It is sad but now I really want more bitterballen.

I’ve been making lots of foods since I moved into my first apartment. Here’s what I’ve made that I photographed

Taco bowl.

maple bacon cupcakes!

pumpkin bread!

more food is to come

3 Likes

And biscuits! I made them first out of these foods

2 Likes

mhhhh looks good @1melissacp
@gatsie thank you I´ve learn once more from you and these bitterballen sure with sm beer we´re eating, when @amitrish and me are going to make our european concert tour, rem? Cause in Amsterdam we sure make a stop wheater for a concert or coffee shop with beer and bitterballen, ok with you? :yum:

How do you manage? I think I cooked/baked something only 3 or 4 times the entire 2 years I was living on my own lol.

You guys, best beer snack is this

Those are inedible, mainly because you’ll break all of your teeth trying to chew even one of them. They sell them in every pub over here and as far as I know it’s just pig fat that’s been deep fried or something,

These 4 things were made over the last month. I don’t have a real good explanation to your question. I kind of just make it happen, but I do cook more servings at once so it lasts longer. That taco bowl filling, for example, has lasted me a few weeks in different forms such as burritos and taco salads. All in all, I just like it. I was looking forward to cooking when I moved in.

@the_termin8r1 Yeap exactly. I like them a lot but can only eat one bag, no more.

@1melissacp Maybe it has to do with the fact that we always ate at the uni’s cafeteria.

@1melissacp Oh my those cookies look delicious! Centuries ago when I started living on my own, I too enjoyed to cook more often. Especially when there’s visitors. Or just for my family. It’s fun :smile:

But when it’s just for me I tend to go for the stuff that hardly needs any work. Hooray for deep-fryers, ovens and IndoMie

http://www.sawab-ltd.com/uploads/47-2.jpg

@The_early_walker I’m definitely up for drinking a coffee or a beer with bitterballen in Amsterdam :smile: Would be nice!

Those Pork Scratches, I don’t think I’ve ever had any of those.

1 Like

I finally tried them this year, they’re indeed great beer snacks.

This topic was made 6 days ago, & I had missed it somehow until I was tagged. Thanks @The_early_walker for the tag, and @the_termin8r1 for this awesome topic.
Since for some reason I don’t get fat, I eat everything I find edible. I was really happy to see @1melissacp’s baking skills.
@gatsie what’s the difference between meat balls and bitterballen? They look similar to me.
also, I thought @evooba was having ham slices wrapped around banana :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Lately I have unsuccessfully tried to concentrate on healthy eating habits. Can I have some tips? (No fruits please).

And since we are on the topic:

3 Likes

Easy: A lot of small meals throught the day. Breakfast, 10-11am snack, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Lots of veggies, salads, fruits (there’s to be at least one you like), avoid fried food as much as possible, cut down on junk and sweets (like, if you eat one every day, try eating like 3 per week).

I have tried doing that. But since I don’t cook owing to timing restraints, what we get in takeaways and other dining joints is mostly fried and full with oil etc. Junks and sweets are already off, so there is a bit of “yay” for me.
Lots of veggies - already on it
salads - don’t like it much
fruits (there’s to be at least one you like) - can I get that ham + banana thing?

I guess I need some food training.

Meatballs are not the same as bitterballen.

These are meatballs sliced in half:

These are bitterballen:

1 Like

@amitrish I know it’s not easy, I had a hard time starting myself since I don’t like salads and fruit as well (learned to eat a few though). Check buzzfeed food, has some easy and fast to prepare healthy recipes. Also, that banana and peanut butter sushi is considered damn healthy!

@gatsie I think we have a different version of it. It’s known as Manchurian. They look similar even from the inside. I guess I will have to taste it to test it.
http://hudsoncanola.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/veg-manchurian.jpg

@evooba Honestly, healthier food looks dull :stuck_out_tongue: I will try to make a couple of these this weekend. Let’s see how it turns out.

Anyways, if you guys are interested, check this out. This is the only food related site that I consistently visit for yummm & tasty food ideas. Hope you will enjoy.

Also, I went in search for food, and returned back with these tweets.

1 Like