Sorry but I have to say how I feel About Living Things

2 weeks later now, I have to say I’m not really doing so great with Living Things. No one song is being repeated over and over again… Nothing about it blows me away. I don’t care who gets mad at me for saying something but I’d rather be honest than lie. I’d review this as one the worst of all the albums with Minutes to Midnight even being a little better as there are at least 5 songs I can pick out from that album that I am rather fond of. I have never bought an LP cd an not have it be the only thing I listen to for the better part of a few months. The songs are as bland as Mike’s voice which should not be used for singing. Do the MC thing Mike you fine at that… Singing not so much. I understand that you guys will never really be able to top Hybrid, Meteora, or even Reanimation… I won’t lie an accept Living Things as the best LP has to offer even with the evolution in their maturity. I even feel Living Things is emo for the sake of emo an not because of the statements it’s trying to make. A Thousand Suns was actually a much better album. If anyone wants to add how they feel please feel free…

Well, first of all I want to say I have a lot of respect for your opinion. Since a couple of weeks I saw some nasty discussions on LPU, and I respect that you write down your honest thoughts :). And please keep on doing that. That’s why we all joined up didn’t we? To discuss everything LP related.

I personally love Living Things. I love the soft beats, and I love where it takes me. The lyrics are very strong in my opinion. I did think the first time: wow Mike is on it a lot. But he grew on me and I really love his sound on the album. Though I agree that he is best at rapping. But still I love how he explores his voice and sees where it leads.
Chester is still the one who gives me goosebumps.
But I love the path they are taking. It is so entirely different and I love that.
You wrote they can never top HT and M, even Reanimation. But the think is… for me there is no list which album is better. I’m have a lot emotions in me, I am really sensitive for everything around me. And it doesn’t matter what I feel. There is a song, album for every mood. I switch from HT to ATS, or MTN. I listen to M and then go straight to LT.
I understand it is completely different from the first two albums. But the thing is… every band member brings so much of theirselves in the songs and albums. If you see them live… and I see Phoenix sing a long with certains songs. And Rob’s expression in certain songs. Seeing Brad’s head pop along. Seeing Joe going nuts… I love that. I love how they put everything of themselves in their songs, in their lyrics.
I pick that up and I join them on the ride they created. That is why I love every single album.
Yeah all the albums are utterly different. But because I see their passion laid into… it ignites something in me that goes crazy.

Maybe you can see if you can find that as wel in LT. And maybe you’ll appreciate it better then. Not that you have too. Just a tip :).

And if it’s still not your thing. Well then it isn’t right? :slight_smile: No worries :).
Right now I am listen to Roads Untravelled and boy… I love that song so much! :slight_smile:

Not that I have a problem with it (and I dont) but why do you HAVE to say how you feel about it? lol. Also, everyone has their own opinion, we are all entitled to ours and what some people have to realize is Hybrid theory and Meteora were never intended to be topped by the band. Those albums just like everything esle LP has released is to simply allow fans to enjoy listening to them as any other band or musician tries to do. While of course, this is my view, if you think LT is emo, you might want to actaully google emo music and compare the two, major difference.

I must also state that the guys dont intend to come up with something that is the best they can offer, rather to keep putting out music that is unique, diverse and enjoyable to listen too for those who like it. Your opinion on ATS being a much better album is fine and I respect you for saying it.

now thats just being rude

sure, share your opinion saying you dont like the album but no need to insult the guys
O_o

For the sake of defending how I feel about the guys, I wanna say it’s not rude… I feel he’s better at being an MC an we the fans allowed to say how we feel. I love Mike as much the next dude, been listening to, respecting, and passing on the insight in his rhymes to other people for years now… but a singer he is not.

[quote=Kealyn]Well, first of all I want to say I have a lot of respect for your opinion. Since a couple of weeks I saw some nasty discussions on LPU, and I respect that you write down your honest thoughts :). And please keep on doing that. That’s why we all joined up didn’t we? To discuss everything LP related.

I personally love Living Things. I love the soft beats, and I love where it takes me. The lyrics are very strong in my opinion. I did think the first time: wow Mike is on it a lot. But he grew on me and I really love his sound on the album. Though I agree that he is best at rapping. But still I love how he explores his voice and sees where it leads.
Chester is still the one who gives me goosebumps.
But I love the path they are taking. It is so entirely different and I love that.
You wrote they can never top HT and M, even Reanimation. But the think is… for me there is no list which album is better. I’m have a lot emotions in me, I am really sensitive for everything around me. And it doesn’t matter what I feel. There is a song, album for every mood. I switch from HT to ATS, or MTN. I listen to M and then go straight to LT.
I understand it is completely different from the first two albums. But the thing is… every band member brings so much of theirselves in the songs and albums. If you see them live… and I see Phoenix sing a long with certains songs. And Rob’s expression in certain songs. Seeing Brad’s head pop along. Seeing Joe going nuts… I love that. I love how they put everything of themselves in their songs, in their lyrics.
I pick that up and I join them on the ride they created. That is why I love every single album.
Yeah all the albums are utterly different. But because I see their passion laid into… it ignites something in me that goes crazy.

Maybe you can see if you can find that as wel in LT. And maybe you’ll appreciate it better then. Not that you have too. Just a tip :).

And if it’s still not your thing. Well then it isn’t right? :slight_smile: No worries :).
Right now I am listen to Roads Untravelled and boy… I love that song so much! :)[/quote]

Thank you for understanding that I’m not trying to be rude to the guys. They mean a lot to me and have gotten me through some of the roughest times in my life. I’m super excited to see them for the first time next month! I agree with everything you just said an know that we’re on the same plain with how we feel about the guys and the music… Just I’m not feeling LT as much. They pitched this as being closest to Hybrid theory an it is not. Reanimation is not just my favorite LP album, it’s my favorite album of all time. I love where that one takes me. I hope that the next album is a little closer to that for me.

When you see them live for the first time, or the tenth time you will appreciate the album and songs from LIVING THINGS. Live there shows take you on a journey, and hit you hard with the old stuff and bring you into the new sound of linkin park just as well. I have seen them at least 20 times live, I have been a hardcore fan since 1999, and fell in love with XERO, HT, METEORA and REANIMATION from the start and like you it would be all I listened to for months, and still to this day can put in HT METEORA or REANIMATION and listed to them from start to finish, every track and it sounds so good that it could come out today as new music and kill the charts.

I was very dissapointed with the long wait and major change of Minutes to Midnight and it was the first LP album that I skipped songs on, not to great of a album to me, yet my daughter loved it, so everyone will have there own opinions. Then ATS came out, and was a much better combination but too many interludes and I again skipped songs but felt better about ATS then M2M. Now Living Things. I enjoy the album a lot, but like many I agree the second half is slower and more boring, and CHESTER DISSAPEARED ON THIS ALBUM when compared to the first 4 albums. LP is not the same without chester and I feel this album is more of a shinoda album. I love Mike and I actually enjoy his singing, his rapping has hit its peak, chester is great on the album, but overall its just not that strong of an album, but for the most part I can listed to every track on the album, which makes it an enjoyable album for me. Its slower, softer, and is not the old LP and we will never see that, and I agree there was some confusion on information saying this was LP going back to its roots, and we see that is far from the truth, which might bother many people, but overall I give this album an 8 out of 10 and think LIVE THIS WILL MIX IN AND PLAY AWESOME WITH THE REST OF THE ALBUMS. I definitely feel LP is not as strong as they used to be and that chester was completely missed on this album, even though I like Mike on the album. When I listened to HT through Living Things the other day straight, every album, Chester dominated there best albums. LP is not LP without Chester and he should have been on this album much more, but overall I enjoyed this album and put it above M2M. Nothing will beat and LP is not trying to beat or reproduce there first 3 albums. There changes and more techno, soft, style is just who they are now and hopefully they will continue to progress as for the most part I enjoy the changes.

IS YOUR OPINION AND I RESPECT IT BUT AS FOR ME I LOVE LIVING THINGS. THEY ARE CHANGING AND THAT IS CALL EVOLUTION. WE MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT LIKE IT BUT FOR ME THEY STILL KEEP SURPRISING ME. FYI JUST LOVE POWERLESS _ AND THE SCREAMER IN VICTIMIZED ^^

For me the only main disappointment is the short length of the album and the too much mainstream direction of the songs.

As all the members had said, your opinion about the album is entirely respectable, that´s how you feel, but like i´ve always said, one of the things that i admire the most of Linkin Park is they don´t get stucked in one thing one style one beat, they are always changing, and well they are humans they are entitled to fail sometimes, but it´s really important to remember everything they have done we have enjoy it and is because they are the best in the music they do and i like LT, it´s really refreshing to hear those lyrics and those guitars so imponent and inspiring… So it´s good to hear you don´t like them that shows they can do better if they want but most of us like the new album very much…

I cried when I heard Mike in “Castle of Glass,” at both listening parties. But hey- you can’t force yourself to love it. Long as you love SOMETHING of theirs, no need to be every single song. And you have to admit his voice is quite amazing for being an emcee… I can not name another who can actually sing.

WellI I think its ok to express your opinion that you didnt like the album. To be honest, as much as I like their music, I liked fewer songs on their new album than I normally do.

Still, I do not agree that Mike shouldnt be singing - this was something fresh and I liked it. Give it a second chance :wink:

cool whatever

I don’t know. It’s not my favorite album but I really like it and its been a couple weeks now. Personally my favorites off the CD which I usually end up playing over and over again are Lost in the Echo, In my Remains, Lies Greed Misery, and Castle of Glass. The album sorta sounds and has the feel of their old style with just different instruments. I really don’t know how to describe it really. The first two songs off the album really got me hooked then when I heard Lies Greed Misery all of a sudden I blasted it out my car because it was really catchy and had a really nice beat. People say that song is rushed which I can kinda see their side but it has the most times played according to my iPod. Some songs aren’t as good as I would have expected (Victimized is one example), and the last half of the album, minus Powerless, seemed to really drag the album down for me. Overall I give the CD a 85/100. But this is just my opinion.

now thats just being rude

sure, share your opinion saying you dont like the album but no need to insult the guys
O_o
[/quote]

exactly. Mike’s voice is amazing, when hes rapping or when hes singing.

its all about hearing this record LIVE!. Trust me on this.

I can’t stop playing the new CD…I LOVE Lies Greed Misery - i think it’s got soooooo much power and angst besides a great tune and kick ass song!..and both this song and Burn It Down both sounded different to me at first, as did a few of the others…didn’t really care for Lost in the Echo at first, and now, after listening to the CD every day cause I’m totally hooked on it, I really love most of the songs…those 3 and Castle of Glass, and Powerless, Roads Untraveled, Skin to Bone…come ON! The words are fantastic and i can’t get those tunes out of my head…it’s cool, each day a new one repeats itself in my head, and i don’t care if it’s Chester OR Mike singing to me i LOVE it! It’s so mysterious and dark and lonely…and kick ass!! Give up what was and what you want and just accept what you are given, or try to anyways. :slight_smile:

Not to mention the AWESOME sounding drum riffs and keyboards and the beautiful instrumentals like in Tinfoil - the music is great, and the words are so powerful - I’m really enjoying this CD. No complaints here. To me, it’s like a starving person complaining that the food tastes funny…the food tastes funny… Shut the F*&# up and EAT, shit we get picky, don’t we? Guess i really needed some cool new music, and I’m lucky to have found something that i can truly enjoy - helps make this human experience a bit more tolerable, for me at least…THANK YOU LP!

Opinions are fine. I know if I would have been a member of LPU after MTM was released, I would have initially been part of the “what the fuck is this?” club. I later changed my mind. Maybe you will to. Doesn’t matter. We all fans of music. Works for me.

If you were before M2M, then M2M and everything after that takes some getting used to for sure, and may not be everyones cup of tea. I also think this is a strong album, but it is too short as usual, chester is not on it enough, the last half is slacking a bit for me except for powerless at the end. For the most part I really enjoy it weeks of listening to it in a row.

Lost in the ECHO top notch and brings it back to OLD LP and got me excited. Mike singing I really enjoyed, but miss Chester overall. Mikes rap is at its best ever on this album. Then until it breaks gets weird and strange too soft and seemed like a wasted 2 minutes, and then the album is over, way too short. Does it compare to there first 3 albums, no, is it a great album, yes.