Re: My thoughts to some fans, the music and behaviour

[quote=LinkinParkForever275][/quote]
Yes, I agree. Everyone has his own opinion and we should respect the others. A forum is ultimately also a place to exchange views. But I guess everything works fine here.

I also can’t understand people who adore everything blindly, what their idols do. That is not good. And I guess an artist just want’s to hear our real opinion about his work.

Sure, LP also receive advance praise from me. But if I realy don’t like a song or an album, that’s ok. Although, I have to say: That is not happened yet :slight_smile:

I really love Living Things. So many great songs! @LinkinParkForever275: Maybe you should give the album a little more time. Which brings us back to the topic: Some people hear a song or an album one time and say: this is shit or that’s cool. Sure you have a first impression, but I always need a few rounds to decide.

What you said about the release day challenge is not true in my opinion. I guess many, many fans (also me) would have wait until the official release day, regardless if Mike ask for it or not.

The lesson is clear: Beeing a critical fan is fine :slight_smile:

Yes, I agree. Everyone has his own opinion and we should respect the others. A forum is ultimately also a place to exchange views. But I guess everything works fine here.

I also can’t understand people who adore everything blindly, what their idols do. That is not good. And I guess an artist just want’s to hear our real opinion about his work.

Sure, LP also receive advance praise from me. But if I realy don’t like a song or an album, that’s ok. Although, I have to say: That is not happened yet :slight_smile:

I really love Living Things. So many great songs! @LinkinParkForever275: Maybe you should give the album a little more time. Which brings us back to the topic: Some people hear a song or an album one time and say: this is shit or that’s cool. Sure you have a first impression, but I always need a few rounds to decide.

What you said about the release day challenge is not true in my opinion. I guess many, many fans (also me) would have wait until the official release day, regardless if Mike ask for it or not.

The lesson is clear: Beeing a critical fan is fine :slight_smile:

i’m agree with you… i listen to an new album 10 or 20 times befor i say it’s good or bad, because at the first time i’m so happy that i have the album that i can’t be objective…

Interesting,yet contradictory.That’s the beauty of an opinion its one persons view,no one has to agree with it. Some people are quick to criticise others for they’re view on different albums/songs. As regurgitator said"I like you’re old stuff better than you’re new stuff ".Personally after several listens to new album I feel its one of the better efforts from lp,still meteora is my favourite.But that’s just my opinion.Hope you all have a great weekend,should be more posts like this good job.W :stuck_out_tongue:

I couldn’t agree more, I left the LPU back in 2006 because of a lot of the slating I got because I didn’t actually like CC too much. But we are all entitled to our own opinions and thoughts on things. My personal opinion was that ATS was that it was incredibly intelligent on so many levels and this morning I treated myself to a good listen to LT. I loved how they seemed to have brought together the best bits of everything from HT ep - ATS and it worked in a way that I thought was just incredible.

All right man…
I can clearly see that you’re the type of person that thinks everything has to have a good and a bad side and I agree, nothing is perfect. But if you listen to something, like Living Things, and you just go like: “That shit is dope!” You can’t say in the LPU Forum that it is bad, right?
Everyone in the LPU has something in common, we all love Linkin Park. I mean admit it, that’s why we’re here, we pay money to be and feel closer to the band.
And I think if you are willing to pay and put your deepest feelings into something like this, you can’t expect us to write something really negative about the new record.
And in case you haven’t noticed yet, people also shared what they didn’t like about Living Things.
About the Living Things Release Day Challenge, if you read the article you know what I’m talking about. Mike gave us a good reason to wait ‘cause he wanted us to share the same passion as he did back when he was just a kid from L.A., listening to new records with his friends on tuesdays’.
People in the LPU see Mike as a role model, because he and all the guys from Linkin Park inspires people in a way you can’t even imagine, I mean people really go crazy on that kind of stuff and that’s just normal, everybody has an idol in a certain point of view.
I’m getting what you’re saying and I really do, but I think in the LPU you can’t expect us to go too hard on Linkin Park and if you do, I think you don’t really share the same passion for everything LP has done in the past as we do.

Sorry man, but that’s just how I see it.

Just like a lot of the others have said, I see where you’re coming from with this post.

But as Marvin Guenther said, everyone here has something in common, the fact that we love Linkin Park. And since we’ve paid money to be closer to the band and support what they do, I don’t think you’ll find the hardest critiques in here, even with the new album. If a person doesn’t like the style in MTM and ATS, why are they still a member of LPU? LT deserves the praise it’s getting from the many LP fans. It’s a solid album, great lyrics, great beat, great music and so much powerful tracks, and I think it’s one of the best work LP has done in their music career.

I am one of those fans who loves every album LP has made, of course some more than others, but they have never disappointed me. It saddens and irritates me sometimes, when people complain and say that they miss the “good old Linkin Park from the HT days”. We all know by now, that they’re not going to make an album that 100 % resembles a previous album, they like to develop, try new things, sometimes mix it with their old stuff, but never go 100 % back to a previous album, and I admire their courage for doing that, because they take a risk losing fans each time they do something new. But so far, they haven’t lost me. It won’t happen until they start singing songs like Justin Bieber would. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did the release day challenge thing, because I thought it would be fun to test my patience and try to feel the experience of listening to the new album with others, share my opinion on the track on twitter and have a blast. It was so much fun! I couldn’t care less if people listened to the leak before the release day. As long as they purchase the album at some point and support the band they could listen to it as early as possible if you ask me. :wink:

Everyone has their own opinion and own personal tastes. This is something everyone should realize and understand. I like or love each one of LP’s studio albums to date. If I had to choose, 2000-2008 would probably also be my favorite LP years but that is FAR from meaning I dont enjoy and love a lot of whats happened since ATS came out.

What you said about not being a better fan for those stated reasons is correct and of course how people who do decide to react like that is up to them and nothing is wrong about it because thats their choice :slight_smile:

Also in response to Guenther’s comment, I know quite a few LPU friends who prefer HT over ATS and LT beilve it or not but they are all still commited and happy fans. I wouldnt say everyone in the LPU thinks of Mike as a role model considering hes not the only band member but hes defintionely a person who’s actions can be apreaciated and well respected. These are my thoughts :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting this. I understand what you are saying. But for me, honestly? My view is the complete opposite.

Maybe I do genuinely think the stuff i post, maybe I’m not blindly following, maybe I’m just really passionate about it, and that is why I am here. It’s got me in trouble on a few LP fan sites before.

Okay. I’m going to lay my heart and myself bare here….

Personally I am totally shocked and sometimes slightly angry when I see the amount of negativity here and on various fan sites. To me I don’t understand why you would put so much effort into being a part of a fan community if you feel that way. There are even some people in positions of authority and power on such sites, either because they are moderations, admins etc or have a large following themselves in the community due to there large part they have played in it, that completely confuse me. Why would you waste so much time on something you don’t truly and utterly love.

I understand people’s right to opinion, but if i wanted to hear some of the level of criticism that gets thrown around, I would read the comments to one of the bands youtube videos.

Yes I admit it. I adore this band. I am not some kinda crazy. I’m a dude. You won’t find me drowling over Mike or trying to stalk Chester. In fact if i randomly saw them in a restaurant and they looked preoccupied, i’d most likely respect there privacy and leave them alone.

But I love this band because I connect with there music on such a deep level and not even just that. I connect and relate with there philosophies which makes my connection to the music even deeper.

Yes, I took part in the listening party? Why? Because Mike Said? Hmm partly. But why not? If there is someone that you truly look up too and respect that asks you to do something, aren’t you more likely to do it? It has nothing to do with being a puppet.

But here is the real reason…

I read Mike’s blog post and again this comes back to relating to the philosophies behind the people in the band. I agreed 100%, I was already going to wait until release day, because I wanted it to be something more special. This is the music I spend a great deal of my time listening to.

What a downer to have it simply leak and me to listen to it unprepared and unexpected whenever that leak comes. What better way to wait for an event and share it with everyone else. We are totally missing on a lot of the excitement that makes us human with all this digital crap we have going on these days.

Due to the listening party I had to wait an extra day and then until the Evening for it to take part in my time zone. But it did indeed feel more important. I felt a connection even more with the music and that people as we were all uniting, connecting and listening to the music together. It felt pretty amazing to get excited over certain bits and lyrics of the song and then read that others all over the world where feeling the same.

I am proud to be an LP fan. I will fight and stick up for them, no matter what. That has nothing to do with me being a puppet or lacking free will. It has everything to do with me following what I truly believe it.

This is just my view. Not attacking yours, just wanted to share. Peace and love and nice to talk to all of you.

don’t get me wrong! i really like LT after the (for me dissappointing) Ats. sure Ats had 2-3 good songs but thats all… LT has a lot of wonderful Songs on it!

And even if i would say “i hate everything except reanimation” - why is it a problem to be here !
being a fan from the 2000-2008 (2012 LT) lp era doesn’t mean i am as “hardcore” as other :slight_smile:

[quote=LinkinParkForever275]don’t get me wrong! i really like LT after the (for me dissappointing) Ats. sure Ats had 2-3 good songs but thats all… LT has a lot of wonderful Songs on it!

And even if i would say “i hate everything except reanimation” - why is it a problem to be here !
being a fan from the 2000-2008 (2012 LT) lp era doesn’t mean i am as “hardcore” as other :)[/quote]

I would never be a member of a fan site where you pay money to be a member, if all I loved from a band was one out of many studio albums. That wouldn’t make any sense. :wink:

ATS, gave me Robot Boy, When They Come For Me, Waiting For The End, The Catalyst, Blackout and Iridescent, which I’ve played again and again, and Burning in the Skies was a great track as well, so for me, the album was a success. I loved the many interludes too. :slight_smile:

[quote=Maria][quote=LinkinParkForever275]don’t get me wrong! i really like LT after the (for me dissappointing) Ats. sure Ats had 2-3 good songs but thats all… LT has a lot of wonderful Songs on it!

being a fan from the 2000-2008 (2012 LT) lp era doesn’t mean i am as “hardcore” as other :)[/quote]

I would never be a member of a fan site where you pay money to be a member, if all I loved from a band was one out of many studio albums. That wouldn’t make any sense. :wink:
[/quote]

i agree with you. i wouldn’t be a lpu member if i’d just like one album. or just like hybrid theory.
of course everyone can share their real opinions here! that’s what it’s for i guess. i think LP check in here sometimes to see what their dearest fans are thinking about their new releases.

i personally love every record. and i don’t say this to be a “supirior” fan or something like that. i just love it that they always find new ways of creating new special music. to be honest, i had to listen to ATS more than once but later on i fell in love with it! i love the idea of creating it as a concept album. but it’s so diffrent and that’s what makes it feel fresh, but still linkin park.
how could anyone blame them on changing directions? i personally am not waiting for hybrid theory 2, 3, and so on. they have grown so much over time !
as a band you want to discover new things.
living things is the ultimate discoverage :wink:

and by the way look at where limp bizkit is today and where Lp is today - ha! (for being kinda from a simliar music direction and success in the beginning of 2000)

i’m not blaming you LinkinParkForever275 for not liking ATS ! it’s totally ok!

[quote=sid♥lp][quote=Maria][quote=LinkinParkForever275]don’t get me wrong! i really like LT after the (for me dissappointing) Ats. sure Ats had 2-3 good songs but thats all… LT has a lot of wonderful Songs on it!

[/quote]

i agree with you. i wouldn’t be a lpu member if i’d just like one album. or just like hybrid theory.
of course everyone can share their real opinions here! that’s what it’s for i guess. i think LP check in here sometimes to see what their dearest fans are thinking about their new releases.

i personally love every record. and i don’t say this to be a “supirior” fan or something like that. i just love it that they always find new ways of creating new special music. to be honest, i had to listen to ATS more than once but later on i fell in love with it! i love the idea of creating it as a concept album. but it’s so diffrent and that’s what makes it feel fresh, but still linkin park.
how could anyone blame them on changing directions? i personally am not waiting for hybrid theory 2, 3, and so on. they have grown so much over time !
as a band you want to discover new things.
living things is the ultimate discoverage :wink:

and by the way look at where limp bizkit is today and where Lp is today - ha! (for being kinda from a simliar music direction and success in the beginning of 2000)

i’m not blaming you LinkinParkForever275 for not liking ATS ! it’s totally ok!

so, after reading all of your posts and arguments (first of all thank you!), i thought i need to make something clear and more precisely.

as sid mentioned, she had to hear ats over and over again and then fell in love with it. Yes i did the same and i had like a period of time where i felt the same! i heard the album every day more than once and i always enjoyed the journey. And for me, ATS is a journey album, which means, because of all the interludes and the short, wise speaches from like oppernheimer and savio. for me its not an album that you can start from titel 6 (robot boy) then skip again and start over with wretches and kings. you have to go from requiem to the messenger. otherwise it felt kinda not good for me. its like reading harry potter, starting with book 4.
The other 3 albums before, and the newest, LT, are different in this perspective. Hybrid theory & meteora had songs that you could start from every song and it was cool! Minutes to Midnight was a little journey too but in a different way than ats. Living Things is again, like the 3 first albums for me. You can start with like skin to bone, i’ll be gone etc and go from there on!
Maybe thats why i enjoyed / enjoy Living Things more than ATS (and also the albums before).

I posted this thread, because after listening to MTM, ATS and LT in a row i felt confused. As i described, it all went superb with a smooth listening on mtm (which is one of my most favourite albums next to Meteora (and now LT starting to get the same status). Then the breaking journey point on ATS. After i heard LT then, i said down and thought about it. What was better? what did i like more? Was it the journey that i got from A Thousand Suns? Was it the style that MTM and LT brought me, that i could stop, skip for example etc? I realized that MTM and LT are the way that i prefer (+ HT and Meteora). ATS and the journey might be fine for some time, but for most of the time i prefer the other 4 album.

To the other points. After being in the LPU for over 3 years now, i often realized that saying what you feel about an album or LP in general is highly criticised by a lot of people. They seem to forget that even if its a fanclub to pay, you don’t have to loose your opinion on some things and follow the band on every step they take and breath they make, because for me that is some kind of possession. I was that kind of guy too, who hyped everything, and every thing LP made was the best on earth and there is nothing better. But i changed it because i felt kinda stupid about it.
I still love LP and the LPU and a lot of you guys because talking to you is really cool!

The most impressive post here was from smarky! Thank you for the honest and long post! If you won’t mind, i’d like to share some more information to that too.
why are you shocked of the amount of negativity here and on various fan sites? I know that some people are very extrem in there opinion, but i think that negativity belongs here too, as same as positivity. Being in the LPU doesn’t mean you would kill someone to see LP and like every little soundpiece they make. When the LPU started, it was based on the early Street Team that LP had when they weren’t signed. Those guys spread the word online and gave away stickers and stuff. The LPU was made to give the fans something back for all the effort they put up to make LP as big as they are today. For me, the LPU is like a big “family” of LP fans, who, when they come together, have fun, talk about the band, enjoy there music and got some exclusive stuff that other people won’t have.

I know that the fans on itunes, amazon and youtube are way off the trak, Those guys are just HT or Meteora only! Their newer stuff won’t be accepted because its “mainstream” and so on. Forget about those fans. You will always have them. When LP got big in 2001 there were those types of persons too who said they are nu metal mainstream because they got heavy rotation on the radio and mtv etc.

I connect with their music too!!! of course, otherwise i would not be such a big fan.
But the real connection, the real feel of the music brought me hybrid theory and meteora as well as minutes to midnight. thats why i wrote earlier that the 2000-2008 is “my time”. During ATS i kinda lost the connection and feeling… don’t ask me why.
But with the release of LT now, it seems that its kinda brought back when i listen to it and close my eyes and listen to the lyrics also.

And to your point of connection & uniting thing: You are 100% right. I felt the same way after reading this! Unfortunatly i could not attend one of those listening parties because i was sick. Mike wrote this article on his blog very well and i could clearly identify with it.
But since everything went digital, it got easier for the hacker to put the album earlier up and stuff so it leaked. back in the days it wasn’t that extrem.

But after this long post now. I’m glad to be a part of the LPU and also a big fan of Linkin Park! They are and will be my most favourite band. Even if i don’t have the same opinion on ATS as others, LT is definitly a good thing and will be heard A LOT of time in the future by me, as same as the first 3 album!

thanks

@Maria: I enjoyed your post as well - if you like, read my long post, i think i made something more clear with my statement.

But your point “if they don’t like ats or mtm - why are they in the LPU?” doesn’t make any sense to me. You are allowed to dislike something LP makes. They will not twist your arm because you said you don’t like that album. And the other fans around here won’t do the same.
And for me - i don’t want a second or third hybrid theory too and i am not one of those guys who say “only ht and meteora are worth to listen to and stuff”… those guys have their opinion and that is fine. If they just like the first 2 albums, why be mad with them? they won’t be mad with you because you worthship every album.
And i could not resist to take the challenge and listened to the album on the german “myvideo” official 2 days before the album came out. When the album came out - amazon delivered it!

I bet they won’t start singing like bieber :wink:

I’m getting your point. everybody has their own opinions about the records and thats fine with me.
well i hate it when people say “i only like ht and meteora”. i argue alot about that ^^ but those people are mostly the ones who won’t ever expand their chosen music type. it’s ok if they don’t want to and i’m not pushing anyone to that. but when they tell me the other LP albums are not worth i listen - i defintly start to argue :wink:

ATS was a risk for LP. but i love they took that risk.
i’m always looking forward to hear the new songs live. and with ATS i often felt like i was one of the only ones who were looking forward to finally hearing songs like the messenger, wretches, blackout and waiting live!

oh and i thought the LT challenge was awesome. i wasn’t successful with ATS (heard it before but bought it immidiatelly) but with LT i waited til i had it in my hands :slight_smile: it’s a lot more exciting than just ripping it.

[quote=LinkinParkForever275]@Maria: I enjoyed your post as well - if you like, read my long post, i think i made something more clear with my statement.

But your point “if they don’t like ats or mtm - why are they in the LPU?” doesn’t make any sense to me. You are allowed to dislike something LP makes. They will not twist your arm because you said you don’t like that album. And the other fans around here won’t do the same.
And for me - i don’t want a second or third hybrid theory too and i am not one of those guys who say “only ht and meteora are worth to listen to and stuff”… those guys have their opinion and that is fine. If they just like the first 2 albums, why be mad with them? they won’t be mad with you because you worthship every album.
And i could not resist to take the challenge and listened to the album on the german “myvideo” official 2 days before the album came out. When the album came out - amazon delivered it!

I bet they won’t start singing like bieber ;)[/quote]

My comment about that may have been a little too hard. :wink: But I’m still tired of people saying they miss the HT days. I don’t think they’re coming back, so if people are going to listen to LP, they better get used to the guys changing their style with each new album. :slight_smile:

And HOPEFULLY they will never get the Bieber fever! xD

Great. Bands dont deserve to be hated on. If you dont like there music fine. just dont say theyF***** suck. And thats what you did. Yu expressed your opinion without degrading LP. And for that i salute you.

Let’s do a little test:

Just jump into a different perspective and imagine, that you are a LP band member. Maybe Mike for example? Ok.

You’re playing in a famous band, you reached many artistical goals, you are creative,

and

you have a bunch of lovely fans, who really love your music and what you’re doing. This are the facts.

Think about this question: What do you prefer:

• A fan, who likes almost everything you say. Who tells you, every of your songs is flawless. Or,
  • A fan, who listen to your music mindful. Who tells you about the things, he don’t like and gives you an honest feedback.

Every ‘Mike’ can answer that question for himself. But I guess, most people feel the same.

This has been interesting reading. Good forum topic.

I’m sure most of you have heard the phrase “you’re preaching to the choir.” Well, LP is the preacher and we are the choir. By this point in the career in LP I kind of have to figure that the members are either people that like to have their musical boundaries tested over time, or are fans that are in sync to the style that LP is playing at present. To see all of the positive comments isn’t a suprise. In my opinion, this is one heck of an album, and for me it didn’t take too much listening through to enjoy the musicality of it all. Believe me though, I’m also one of those who thought to themselves “what the f**k is this?” when Minutes to Midnight came out. That album took a few weeks to sink in and understand, especially when it was so different from Meteora. At first my friends and I thought it should have been called the “LP’s Dangling Car Key LP.”

Here is where I agree with LinkinParkForever275. I may have been an LPU member for only a couple of months, but I gotta say, this is one extremely polite website. Is that a bad thing? Have we become so jaded by the media, reality tv, news, and politicians that we need to have conflict in order to function? Is it possible that the body whole of LPU just decides to be polite rather than confrontational in its comments? Maybe it just speaks well for the LPU membership as human beings that we as a whole aren’t jerks.

However, if people would like to see a negative opinion, I’ll give one just because. The Hann With Gunn remix of Burn it Down…I’m not a fan. There will not be any adjustment period for me to change my mind on that. I hope that isn’t too scandalous lol.