LPU is good for my English practice

O__O

So you were at school for 20 years? ._.

I don’t speak english very well but I try to do my best. And I’m learning new things here. It’s great! :slight_smile:

Hey soldiers. I have been talking and writing English for more than 15 years. I’m good at it. And I can talk a few more languages too. So if there’s anything I could help you guys with, please let me know. I would be really happy to help. :slight_smile:

It’s good for mine too. I’m from germany and LPU is an example how important could be english.
I think if you can’t speek englich, LPU is nothing for you.

yeah, everyone here who doesn’t speak English as their mother tongue is really good [mrgreen]
I’m English and I’m obsessed with foreign languages [ugeek]
I study French & Spanish for Uni, plus Dutch for 7+ years, and any others I have time for at home…

In England the majority of people, especially kids, think ‘what’s the point of learning another language - everyone speaks English’! which, is kinda true, but,you shouldn’t rely on that.
Anyone who wants to learn English with me, I’d love to help, maybe you can teach me some of your language! [biggrin]

It’s frightening actually, how you can learn better English from online English-speakning sites and movies and tv-shows, than you ever learn in High School.

I didn’t learn much I didn’t already know already, when I had English in school, that’s for sure, except for the grammar, which is a killer - there are way too few rules compared to, let’s say, German. :wink:

[quote=Maria]It’s frightening actually, how you can learn better English from online English-speakning sites and movies and tv-shows, than you ever learn in High School.

I didn’t learn much I didn’t already know already, when I had English in school, that’s for sure, except for the grammar, which is a killer - there are way too few rules compared to, let’s say, German. :wink:

That’s right. You can learn everyday phrases and pronunciation, so it’s good to watch movies and etc with english speakers.

I’m from germany too and I’ve just learned english for 5 years. I wasn’t really good in english lesson at school, but since I joined in LPU, I get the best marks :smiley: I’m happy about it, english became so familiar for me because I read and write it here so often :slight_smile:

It is very nice to learn English here. Two Points: 1. It is my favourite Band. 2. English is a nice Language.
Sorry for the bad Englisch.

The system is asking me if I’m sure to continue this old conversation… I think it’s better than opening a new thread like this.

I’d say LPU is good for my English practise but sometimes I wonder if I understand some people correctly or if I’m understood. Sometimes I also wonder if it is possible to make any progress if no one (except myself) corrects my mistakes let alone misspellings…

3 Likes

You think the fault is in the language :flushed:
:crazy_face:

Speaking for myself, my English has improved tremendously.
Sure, could still be better.
But that I would ever just chat away in this foreigne tongue, a year ago, a never dreamed of possibility.
:joy:

3 Likes

I used to do that. Everyone thought I was being a twat. The only person who has explicitly told me to correct them on every single error is @jabinquaken.

1 Like

:joy: :rofl:

I already thought about asking for this.
But not sure if I could handle what I wish for. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I started reading and you said “I already thought” I thought you meant you already thought of him as that :rofl:

@anomalia I don’t notice much with you in way of errors :thinking: I’ll point them out to you if you’d prefer :slightly_smiling_face:
@anna834 is a lost cause with her misspelling :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

This. I’m not sure if I’m ready to face it.

I think you want me to shut up or delete everything :rofl:

What? Where? Why? :astonished:

1 Like

Do we not all? :sunglasses:
:rofl:

A buck for everytime I already heard that, even from math or biology teachers, I would be rich! :roll_eyes: :joy:

:woman_shrugging: :joy:

1 Like

The correct expession in LPU is @spellingmistake. hehe

Also, I was going through the post and realized that most of the non-native speakera here write good english.

As for trivial issues like…

You can start by letting people know what kind of errors would you want to rectify first. Working on every error at once will be tiresome for you too.

What kind of mathematics were you tought? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

This is also why I miss the LPU chat room. That and the message boards are great learning tools.

I remember I used to correct people all the time, but (just like every language) it’s not something you just learn overnight.

Everybody learns new skills at their own pace, and as long as I can understand broken English (no matter how broken it is), I let things slide.

Unless of course you want me to point it out for you. And I promise, I’m not a twat.

6 Likes

I think, I actually want this.
It’s not so much the spelling mistakes, I know I suck there. I do in my own language too.
But the right grammar.
I never really learned English in school.
All this now, is not knowing rules, but watching movies, reading english books and writing, chatting, talking to you guys, just going with my guts.
So to know, were I’m wrong, especially mistakes I continually do, is probably a good thing.

2 Likes