LPU is good for my English practice

I mean niece… not nice, although it’s a nice girl.

I agree, but in the Neatherlands people are unusually comunicative and nearly everybody speaks fluent English, even on countryside. It�´s not very common to compare to other countries I have been in.

I remembered!!! Wow, so many years ago.
In that time, I didn’t speak english yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Linkin Park was my first and most important reason to want to learn English, so here we are! Practising the language :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=perky]Can I just say for those who have commented on this thread so far whose native Language isn’t English, you’ve done pretty damn well so far! I guess one of the hardest things is to understand the colloquial expressions people use sometimes? I only speak English, which is great as people use English the most online, but kinda sad I only have one language - really should learn another!
[/quote]

Thanks Perky! Nice to hear, that you don’t take it for granted, that everybody speaks English. And yes, you are right. Colloquial expressions aren’t easy to understand, because we didn’t learned about that in school. I use online dictionaries quite often.

But even if I don’t understand everything instantly, it’s very impressive, that LP fans from around the world, regardless if they are from USA, Taiwan, Russia or Germany, we all find a common denominator here [biggrin]

At school, I improved my Englisch by translating David Bowie lyrics. Now, here on this forum I do almost everything without a dictionary. Sometimes the context of a sentence makes it clear for me what a word means, sometimes I look it up. When I am typing I only use a dictionary if I can’t go around a word I don’t know, or although I’m terrible at the french language, to get the spelling correct, I check it in French. For example: impossible is written the same in french, but by the sound of it I can hear how to wright it down.
Does that sound strange to you?

[quote=Bubo Bubo] May I ask where you’re from? And how did you learn German? Here in Holland at hihgschool, they trie to learn us English, German and French in the first two years (in my highschool-days) and when you had to choose your subjects, (I don’t know another word for it) you could drop the languages. I dropped French because I had to put effort into that laguage to learn, my German grammar was and still is terrible, but I could make up for that in reading and listening tests, so I did exam in German and English.
I have a nice who in august finished a bi-lingual hihgschool education. The first three years she had every subject in English, like math an geography, the last three years they switched back to dutch. I’m proud to say she finished cum laude.
[/quote]

I´am from the Czech Republic. As a nation we can´t speak as good English as the rest of Europe, but I don´t blame our education system. It´s just, it takes a while to get to the level of Western Europe.
Our education is set up like this: first language in the third grade - it´s mostly English, but not necesarilly, second language in the fifth or eighth grade (depend on school) - it´s German or French or Russian. Then when you continue on secondary grammar school, you keep both languages and improve them further. Fortunately things are getting better. There is more English lessons per week and better teachers then in the past.
My knowlage of German is pasive, however I love it. I prefer speaking in English
It´s very useful to be bilingual in these days, she is lucky to have this opportinity. It´s a hard work guess…

You know what’s funny? When people come from a country where they speak English, and they want to learn Dutch, it’s difficult for them because most people speak English (a little bit).

I´m from Germany and since i´m on Linkin Park fan sites my english is getting better and better[smile] I also learn russian at school. But i think i´m awful in this… It would be great if you would take me up in your little “practise group”[razz]

Russian ? I’m from Poland, so I can understand something in russian language :wink:
I have problems with german. I have good marks but I can’t communicate in this language…

Wow! People are finding eachother to learn languages!

I am from India and I know languages like Kannada, Hindi, Tulu, Konkani which are only in India. Then I learnt English for 20 years from school days. Now my English is better. As I’m in Germany now, learning German :slight_smile: This site has really helping to put my English knowledge that’s why I keep updating my blog for every day or two :slight_smile:

If you want to know something about german, just ask me :wink:
@LPradeepS: In which city are you in germany?

Jeah im 15 from germany and the lpu chat is awesome for english pracis

O__O

So you were at school for 20 years? ._.

yes it’s a good way to learn and to practice English :wink: also you can make a lot of friends around the world :wink:

Ya’ll r funny, LMAO!

I can’t believe there’s mo than 10 replies to this thread.
Kudos to ya’ll
Hi 5

I feel inadequate only knowing one language - but I love ‘language’ so I’m fascinated by this thread. And for those of you talking about English grammar, I’m not quite sure I know the rules, but trust me when I say I really really should! Amazingly when I studied ‘English’, grammar was never at the heart of it. And if anyone ever wants any English explaining feel free to ask! :smiley:

I am from Polandand and also I have a problem with English. Although now everyone should know it. I wonder if you went with learning Polish?[smile][

Do you know how much we envy you? Lots of free space to fill with other nonsense than comparative syntax and so on. :smiley:

[quote=Tobsi]If you want to know something about german, just ask me :wink:
@LPradeepS: In which city are you in germany?[/quote]

Oh that’s really great ! I am learning German and in A2 level but not that good now :smiley:
I am doing Masters in University of Stuttgart since last year :slight_smile: