Living Things Expectations?

Hey Everybody,

I’m just curious to see what everybody thinks.

So given the new single and the comments Mike has made about the new album. What things do you hope or expect from the new album?

Cris

At first I expect the album to be different from the stuff they did before. Like LP always said - they wanna try something else on every record. But since they said, that they are trying to fuse the styles they did before, to create a new sound, I really expect some rock/rap/electronic/epic shit.

After I listened to Burn It Down, I kinda was a bit…confused. Chester’s voice is very Chester-like, but the whole song just has the structure or a typical main stream song; like chorus/stanza/chours/stanza/chorus/rapped bridge/chorus/rapper talking some stuff.
At least the song doesn’t sound compareable to other stuff, but it still isn’t THAT unique as I thought. But that all might be, because it’s LP’s first single…and we all know what a first single should sound like…accessable to everyone.

For me, the rest of the album should really not just sound like a kind of remix or just mixing together all they did before. I want something never heard before like they did with ATS, but the songs still are supposed to have this ‘never get old’ character.
When I saw the track listing I was suprised about one song called ‘I’ll Be Gone’. It doesn’t sound like that typical LP title to me…more personal, but not that easy to identify with, but I hope it won’t sound like that.

Referring to that, I really wanna hear intense, senseful lyrics with a ‘hit in the stomach’ character like the Meteora songs all were like. I expect it to be like…you hear a song and be like ‘Damn, they just talked to me.’, you know ? I want something that…immediately shakes you and makes you feel the song yourself. Not only what the artists might have been feeling while writing the song.

So all in all I expect another Linkin Park album [biggrin]
I’m very excited for their new stuff now and I hope we gonna see 'em on tour soon.

I can totally agree with what you said. After all, Linkin Park has been pretty good at fusing different musical ideas together using their “Hybrid Theory” so to speak.

The single sounds pretty good. It didn’t blow me away but it did sound different enough from what i’m used to hearing. I definitely get the sense that they’re comfortable with what they’re doing. I really think that a song like this definitely wouldn’t have been considered if they were trying to an album like ATS. But i can definitely respect the fact that they want to bring all that they’ve got to the table and not be afraid to go with it.

I’m definitely waiting to see what happens with the rest of the album. I’m sure we’ll hear snippets here and there!

Unpredictable

From the sound of BURN IT DOWN, it sounds like it’ll be different from ALL the albums, and that’s what I’m actually wanting. Unlike some people, I’m actually a big fan of their new music too. I like how LP have shown much… Um… Maturity? in their recent songs/albums. Of course, I love the old LP, but I hate how everyone expects them to stay the same. I am totally looking forward to the release of LIVING THINGS on June, 26th.

Unpredictable is a very good word! Haha and very true

I also agree with you Deemi. Maturity i think is a good word. I’ve grown up along with them and i’ve loved every progression they have made because just like our styles and tastes have changed, so have theirs. It just so happens that my tastes and style have been right there with theirs’

Glad to hear your opinions and thoughts guys!

I guess its a absolutly new one and i guess i will like it as well.I love the way LP surprise us fans.I grow up, they grow up and it would be boring when they would do the same all the years!!!

I really liked the direction they took for A Thousand Suns, and the feel and atmosphere of that album was awesome. Whats good about Burn It Down is that it takes elements from their early music, and blends it with things they learned and played with in A Thousand Suns. So personally i think its going to be a really interesting album with a refreshing new sound. Which is always nice. No one likes to hear the same thing regurgitated over and over.

I always think about what Joe Hahn said on the Frat Party DVD: “A new type of fusion”
They’ve always been like that. So i won’t really think about it until I’m able to listen to it.
But one thing I know: I’m going to love the record. :slight_smile:

Well the album is supposably about relationships so its probably going to have songs with emotional lyrics e.g. anger, love, jealousy, pride, lonliness

I think it will be very electro… even more than ATS I guess.

And if I base myself on Burn It Down, lyrics will probably be less in-depth.

To be honest I am not blown away by the single. I am however, blown away by the artwork. I think this is their best album cover to date.

In terms of the single itself - merge New Divide and Waiting for the End together and you have Burn it Down. My initial thoughts were that we were going to hear something with a bit more guitar - just like off HT and Meteora - but that appears untrue.

The sound is very digital / computer generated. My concern with this is that their live show suffers. LP were never really able to perform songs like Robot Boy and Blackout because of their digitally created content - which is a shame because those are two great songs from ATS.

Overall - I guess I can’t judge the album by the first single. I learnt this lesson with A Thousand Suns, ‘The Catalyst’ was quite possibly the worst single choice - and my least favourite song of LP’s to date. Fingers crossed Brad has a job on this album.

p.s. Can we please try a new producer on the next album? I feel Rick has left his impact on the band and it’s time to move on.

To me, Burn It Down sounds like the old LP infused with an electronica sound, so that may be what the rest of the album sounds like.

I honestly think that each album that comes out is going to be much different from the ones before it…that’s ok. Keeps things interesting.

I’m hoping for another album that is able to draw me in and feel like those lyrics specifically relate to my life. LP’s music has always been a comfort for me…getting me through very hard times and I have no doubt that this album won’t do the same :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve loved everything LP has done. Their level of growth as an artist is amazing. I only have one request of the new album –

That it ****ing rocks.

I think that Chester’s comments about fusing guitar along with electro components was bang on about Burn it Down. It has the deep drone of an electro sounding bass but if you listen closely you can definitely here rhythm guitar strumming along with it. I’d expect much of the same from the rest of the album with the quieter moments to be grounded in piano and guitar.

[quote=LP_Matt]To be honest I am not blown away by the single. I am however, blown away by the artwork. I think this is their best album cover to date.

In terms of the single itself - merge New Divide and Waiting for the End together and you have Burn it Down. My initial thoughts were that we were going to hear something with a bit more guitar - just like off HT and Meteora - but that appears untrue.

The sound is very digital / computer generated. My concern with this is that their live show suffers. LP were never really able to perform songs like Robot Boy and Blackout because of their digitally created content - which is a shame because those are two great songs from ATS.

Overall - I guess I can’t judge the album by the first single. I learnt this lesson with A Thousand Suns, ‘The Catalyst’ was quite possibly the worst single choice - and my least favourite song of LP’s to date. Fingers crossed Brad has a job on this album.

p.s. Can we please try a new producer on the next album? I feel Rick has left his impact on the band and it’s time to move on.[/quote]

Stop living in the past, the old LP is gone, last year’s LP is gone, we have a new LP now and they are the ones we can love for now. The chorus of BURN IT DOWN has very heavy guitar work if you listen to it so don’t be surprised when they play this song live and Brad is toting his afro, giant headphones and one of his many axes…

[quote=Justin]

Stop living in the past, the old LP is gone, last year’s LP is gone, we have a new LP now and they are the ones we can love for now. The chorus of BURN IT DOWN has very heavy guitar work if you listen to it so don’t be surprised when they play this song live and Brad is toting his afro, giant headphones and one of his many axes…[/quote]

I don’t want the old LP back. I’d be pissed if they made an album that was just like Hybrid Theory or Meteora - that era of music has passed. I only mentioned it before because the idea they were giving us from interviews was that they were going back to their roots - and I don’t really hear it much in burn it down - hence my reference to New Divide & Waiting for the end. I guess I was just pointing out its absence.

Based on the song - things are heading in a very digital direction. Give me a song that starts with a bit of guitar! Just like on papercut, no more sorrow, bleed it out.

reagrdless - can’t wait to hear the rest of the album. i like the track names.

[quote=LP_Matt]To be honest I am not blown away by the single. I am however, blown away by the artwork. I think this is their best album cover to date.

p.s. Can we please try a new producer on the next album? I feel Rick has left his impact on the band and it’s time to move on.[/quote]

I agree with getting rid of Rick Rubin, but if Living Things turns out better than ATS (which is probs my 2nd favourite album) then my opinion will change. Also I agree with the comment about the Catalyst, its a great song but I feel another song should have been chosen to be a single. Iridescent, Burning In The Skies and Waiting For The End are my 3 favourite from ATS but the catalyst is much further down the list for me. Then again LP released that as the first single to preview the album and thats probably the best song to show ATS