[insert totally nifty topic here]

I would think they are modified…unless they put two bricks together side by side to get the change in color. But when the camera angle is straight on the picture it doesn’t look like two bricks.

They are probably pyramid pieces where each side is a different colour.

yeah probably! I didn’t think of that. I saw a mosaic in Legoland Malaysia and it was made with one dot pieces. But that was not like this that changes every angle.

This?

3 Likes

Yes thx Jordan! :blush:

Note: PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS POST, IT IS ONLY A WIKI SO THAT THE EDIT TIME DOESN’T EXPIRE.

Lots of pics but not too much text ahead

Good news! I finally finished the car. The first thing you’ll notice is that it doesn’t look much like a car; that’s because, as I’ve said before, I wanted it to be a showcase of the mechanisms (and I was too lazy to make a body).

Info:
-Total parts: 1383
-Technic Parts: 1379
-Electronic parts: 4 (a battery box, 1 medium motor, 1 XL motor and a switch)
-Total price: ~£275 (inc electronics which were about £25 alone)
-Price per piece: ~£0.20 (20p)

Gear ratios (gearbox only):

1st gear: 2.25
2nd gear: 1.5
3rd gear: 1.25
4th gear: 1
5th gear: 0.75
6th gear: 0.5

Pics:

Different views:

Manual spoiler up:

Left active spoilers up (you can’t see the rear one from the front because of the gearbox):

Right active spoilers up:

Flat underbelly (the gap is there to stop the differential from catching on the plating):

A crudely labeled pic of where the power will go through the gearbox if it were in first:

A crudely labeled pic of where the power will go through the actuator system for the active aero:

Mini demos:

General functions:

Active aero (due to gearing, the front spoiler comes up faster and fully and the rear only gets to half way) :

1st gear:

6th gear (I couldn’t edit the 5th gear fail from the gif):

I only did the first and last gear because it takes 15 mins (quite literally) to render a single gif due to file size.

Build notes:

-I lost track of how long this build took.
-I’ve had to do more redesigns than I can count
-I recycled most parts from the 42039 LMP set I posted a while ago in the w/w thread.
-This was completely improvised
-Apart from the very basic part of the rear suspension, everything is my own design (I heavily modified the rear suspension I used)
-It has a 6 speed gearbox
-It could pull a reverse and a mechanical handbrake built into the gearbox but I didn’t account for scaling and couldn’t fit them in
-For some reason it grinds it’s gears in 5th
-It can only pull itself in 1st, the gears just grind for 2nd - 6th
-It has 4WD with 3 open differentials
-Has active and manual aero (I couldn’t find a good way to automate the manual one)
-Initially the active aero was meant to be connected to the steering but it proved too difficult and complex
-Inspiration for the active aero came from the Pagani Huayra which has a similar system
-Has independent suspension
-The front suspension has a lot less travel than the rear due to the steering linkage
-If Lego were to sell this as an official set it would cost half as much
-I had to order extra parts as well as using the recycled ones
-Because of Lego’s awkward gear sizes I ended up having to use around 40 gears as opposed to a dozen for the gearbox
-I would have used pneumatics if they weren’t so damn expensive.

3 Likes

I just have one word for it: Awesome. Just absolutely awesome.

1 Like

Thanks a lot :grinning:

But I’ve spent so long on it that I just feel underwhelmed by it :confused:

1 Like

Underwhelmed!!! Seriously? It’s…I have no adjectives to describe the whole thing. And I can understand how long it must have taken it, but it’s absolutely awesome!

At some points I got so fed up building and then redesigning that I felt like taking the whole thing apart and never coming back to it. And then I realized i’d get really bored :laughing:

Also, if you think mine is impressive check out this thing:

It’s the most advanced Lego car out there. But the guy does this thing pretty much all the time with massive budgets and loads of time.

That’s amazing! I wouldn’t have the patience to do this, congrats!

1 Like

Neither would I, but I was bored :laughing:

Am I the only one who thinks that unicycle racing should be an Olympic sport?

Maybe ! Hey dude still LAN available? :eyes:

Yes, it’s only 22:30. Also I get to switch it off when I want now so long as it’s not too late.

Here it is One Hour later & 300 km still To Drive ! This vacancy was a cheap but Stressed out… Did you made such an experience before?

My dad drove us to Switzerland and back. From the North Western outskirts of greater London, down to Dover, then we took the channel tunnel, did some French motorway, stopped off in Belgium for about an hour, did about 30 mins of Dutch motorway, came into German (stopped off in a bunch of places and stayed a few days) then drove down to Switzerland and slept a night there, then we drove all the way back but not in one day again. To be hones I could have done the journey in one go but my mum and sister get tired.

That is the so called “Social habbit” but honestly: I was 8 days with my parents… First two days were euphoria on mY parents side and then my mum tries To handle me as a Kid like “do this” you have To … Right now I remember why I was so weird as a Teenager…god bless my own home with a door To close behind me!!! :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

This was the rough route we covered. We didn’t go to see any relatives, it was just a holiday.

Was it when you went To the Europa park Rust? Can’t Upload the pic To read where your road Ended in Germany but Rust seems To be nearby?