Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

That’s what I’m saying, it’s not a consumer-grade laptop. It’s for work, for running heavy audio and video editing software, for running engineering software and simulations that would melt a £400 Asus. It’s not for checking emails and facebook. Nor is it actually for gaming, despite it being able to run most games at medium settings.

Actually, it’s not a gaming laptop, the GPUs aren’t powerful enough to run something like Shadow Of The Tomb Raider on max settings at 180 FPS, it hasn’t got the cooling for it either. It can play games respectably, but it’s not a gaming rig.

This. It’s difficult to convey with words, but you can definitely tell the difference between a business and consumer laptop. Business laptops can be opened and worked on fairly easily, they have upgradeable parts, replaceable parts and can be serviced and repaired. Consumer ones are like disposable cameras, you use it, it outlives its usefulness and then you bin it.

Even my baby XPS that I have now will put most desktops to shame. Obviously it doesn’t stand a chance against extreme gaming rigs or editing rigs or a dedicated workstation, but how many ordinary people actually run PCs like that?

Gaming lapops are obnosious, chintsy, overpriced and completely impractical, I’d never have one.

Give it a few hours, stick it on a bag of rice or in a bag with some silica packets. Your issue is long term corrosion more than anything else.

2 Likes

if you’ve run out of rice, let them out in the sun and turn them around too so as all humidity to dry out before power goes through.
i’d spin’em too so as centrifugal force pushes droplets towards the plastic and away from the board.

good luck :confused:

2 Likes

Something that i didn’t know and i am sharing to protect my friend @the_termin8r in case he doesn’t either
and the rest of readers can keep it in mind.

NOT all USB3 cables are USB3 cables! :open_mouth:

let me rephrase :
NO USB3 cable that comes “in the box” connects as USB3 and you need to buy aftermarket because :
it has received so much insulation that they didn’t allow any real room for copper and if you strip them down the copper cables are so thin that USB3 speeds AND power can’t be adequate for the needs of a USB3 interface.
Hence, it will connect as USB2 and you can never know that UNLESS you have a program that tells you so.
In my case, it’s a CCD camera to use on imaging planets and although it can record at 60FPS it can only record on 25FPS because the program title (up top the window title) warns you about your USB2 connection.

If connected on a USB3 port, there is no reaction from the computer, nor refreshing device manager.
SO the average user will just connectit to a USB3 and go on with their lives, saving the companies thousands of dollars on copper!

remember… tech ain’t your friend :stuck_out_tongue:
you need to make it!

I think that’s just you buying dodgy cables. USB 3 is determined by the amount of data pins on the connector, not the thickness of the wire.

Also USB has become such a mess in terms of names that USB 3 gen 1 (I think that’s what it was called) is actually USB 2, which I think is why you’re getting confused here. I can’t say I blame you.

Nah, talking about the fat connector and what i discovered and shared is that all stocks are thins inside!
Aftermarket works but this is not in any manual giving us products with a “free usb3 cable” included.
Hence, i felt it a responsibility to share the reason my capturing night was ruined :wink:
sharing this tip was my night’s sole positive outcome! :sleeping:

https://www.datapro.net/images/usb_3_b.jpg

1 Like

This is what I was talking about.

2 Likes

lol man
hahahah shampoo
hahahah
his aggravation is my feelings on tech too.
it’s all about the tech giants today, forgetting the commitment to tech itself!

thanks for sharing!
:fist_right::fist_left:

edit: epic video!
Linus nails it again!
I’m at v3.0 and we can’t get that going either without buying extra cables!

1 Like

I think that one that pisses me off the most is USB 3 Gen 2x2. Dafuq were they thinking? :joy:

1 Like

i think their idea was : “customers on four!” (you know what i mean) and they were polite about it. :rofl:

Linus : “If you’d excuse me now, i need to go have a word with intel,
on how they decided the names of their processors as well”

BOOM!

1 Like

@the_termin8r hey :grinning:
Can you help me with getting my forum screen dark? Night time modus?
Don’t know how to to it.:thinking:
Edit: found it.
First I turned everything black. Wasn’t easy to find the way back. But now I got it.
Thanks
Edit 2 or not
20190715_052451
?

1 Like

Have you tried just turning your screen brightness down?

The forum doens’t have a dark mode. Nor does Chrome. I’m not sure how you got to where you are but that looks like a high contrast or inverted colour mode. If you want a dark theme, you’ll have to run a chrome extension. I can recommend Dark Reader because I run it. It lets you customise everything by website and you can exclude websites that don’t look as good or lose functionality.

My setup for the forums is as follows:

Mode: Dark
Brightness: +45
Contrast: Off
Sepia: Off
Grayscale: Off

Make sure you set it to this website only.

2 Likes

Hey! Thank you!

That I did now.

For everything further, I wait till I’m home.
Here, the wlan is so slow that nothing really works.
Maybe the turned down brightness is already enough.
Thanks again! :grinning:

1 Like

Samsung announced their new phone with rotating camera. An “innovation” i clearly remember seeing in dad’s Nokia in 2003. Seriously (but it wasn’t that stupidly expensive rotating Nokia, the only thing that was actually rotating was the camera itself. I tried searching the web but I can’t remember the model

More on topic: found dad’s old HTC. It still works… barely

And it’s screen - the actual reason dad switched to another phone. The most glitching screen I’ve ever seen in my life image

Jesus Christ, phones are getting so fucking retarded it’s not even funny anymore. From this, to the folding bullshit, to the ones with a screen on either side so that they don’t have to put in a front camera.

You know who I blame for all this? The consumers. They keep demanding more and more shit and the engineers keep having to pull all kinds of nonsense out of their arses just to satisfy. In no objective way is it better to have a phone with two screens just so you can avoid ruining the aesthetic of it with a small front camera.

3 Likes

This :joy: What a gimmick, it looks like a bad futuristic gadget from a nineties film

3 Likes

Oh and next tech project
Before the actual provider showed up here, in the country, we were using a D-Link DIR 456 router (older model). A router that supports a SIM-card. The WIFI signal is pretty weak in my room and i want to play my console! (Games nowadays are from 40GB… RDRII takes 100GB). So i’m buying myself a SIMcard and setting up this little guy( not gonna cost much, an unlimited 4G + 300minutes and 250 SMSes on my phone costs me around… lemme guess, 200RUB a month? That’s around 3-4 dollars) Of course, i’m gonna connect the console via the LAN cable. WIFI module in SONY consoles is BS(even worse than in an old Xbox 360, i swear)

PC master race! Buy a laptop with WWAN capabilities lol.

Ummm… I gotta ask dad about some more money even to buy a sim (I’ve just wasted my last non-cash on an Imagine Dragons poster… my girlfriend’s favorite band)
So i guess i can’t afford myself a laptop right now LOL

I’m messing with you. Most laptops with WWAN cards are workstations and aren’t built for gaming.

1 Like