Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

I was running tests to see how long my battery lasts on my laptop. Laptops have different power settings which can be set for maximum performance, maximum battery life or a mix. I took several of those settings ranging across the whole spectrum and ran a set test. I did 3 runs of each power setting to identify any anomalies in results.

The benchmark portion of the test is done by running a software that stress tests the major components in your PC and gives them a score while also comparing them to data from other users with the same components as well as different components. Changing the power plans has an effect on PC performance, I ran the benchmarks to see exactly what the effects were.

Yeah, the average is about 150 mins, the full range in the results is 110-200 mins.

I don’t understand this bit, could you rephrase it please?

Ah. Well, I’m going to state the obvious (just to be safe) and say that IT is an acronym for Information Technology.

Oh. ;-; nvm then

Might be a good place to post a link to your Pixelbook listing (I’m not sure if it’s against forum rules though).

WHAT?!?!?!?

I thought you were trying to sell your Pixelbook? The tech thread might be a good place to post it if you’re interested in selling it to people on here. The only thing is, I don’t know if selling stuff is against forum rules.

Thank you for your explanation :slight_smile:

You tested different batteries for your laptop. So the differences between the batteries are not that big, that it could be a baying decision. Right?

For me, that’s the interesting part. I am aware that my old Aldi laptop has a deadline. I wish him a long life. But after, don’t know jet what to do. And battery working hours would be one criteria, I thought.

1 Like

Ah, no I didn’t. My laptop has a 56WH battery, but you can buy it with a 97WH battery. I only estimated the battery life for the 97WH as I don’t have one. I estimated it by taking the duration of each run, dividing by 56 (to get mins per WH) and then multiplied by 97 (to get mins per 97WH).

Well the approximate difference in average times (estimated of course) would be about 90 mins which is significant. The two factors, in the case of my laptop, that will most influence your decision to buy one battery over the other is money and digital storage space. I have a smaller battery in mine because the space that would otherwise be taken up by the physcially bigger battery can now hold an extra HDD or SSD for more storage.

With a big battery you can have a maximum of 2TB storage on a single SSD (more than enough for almost everyone). With the small battery you can fit in an extra 2.5" drive (or two separate M.2-size drives with an adapter) for a maximum storage capacity of 6TB.

With my laptop, the choice gets even more complicated because it can come with a touch screen (mine doesn’t) and more powerful components which will rip through a small battery in even less time. Dell don’t actually sell the XPS 15 with a small battery out of the factory anymore.

Small battery and extra SSD (my laptop):

Large battery and only one SSD:

When it comes to buying a new laptop, it’s best to do your research before making a purchase, and of course come to this thread for advice lol. My laptop is one I do not recommend to most people , because it’s serious overkill for almost everyone and people can get something that suits them and works just was well for A LOT less money. There’s a whole essay I could write on this subject that I won’t waste your time with until it’s necessary, but it boils down to whether you want to go cheap and mediocre, or very expensive, but will last ages and it easier to fix.

2 Likes

Ok. I think I understand you. Tada! :wink:

That I think about the next laptop has to do just with my nervousness that the day will come. And if it breaks down, I will need an other one right away. But the last check up was all good.

That’s the thing, my Aldi laptop is so old that even cheap it is easy to fix. At least that’s what my pc mechanic says.
But he strongly advised me again a new Aldi one.
For my daughter I bought a used dell latitude from greenPanda and it really don’t express me. But it is enough for her.

1 Like

You think or you know? I’d rahter you understood fully, where do you want me to elaborate?

I didn’t even know Aldi did laptops. Buy something with a name when you go to upgrade. Just not Apple Crapple.

Latitudes are business grade laptops, you can’t buy them from Dell’s consumer site. It should be decent. How old is it and what are the specs?

2 Likes

Broken down you forgo the bigger battery for more storage.
The exact terms and numbers are not really mine to understand even less to memories. :grimacing:

Aldi laptop are medion. My battery is long gone, I always need to plug in. Not worth a new one anymore.

20190509_195024
Thats my daughters. It’s loud, not much battery ether, slow, promised Bluetooth isn’t working, if you close it, it hangs, no standby.
But you don’t need to make any suggestions in that direction, my daughter wouldn’t let me near it, at least as long as it works.
Other question, is a laptop he ore it?

1 Like

Correct, you either have a bigger battery and less storage (though 2TB is still a lot) or smaller battery and more storage. I have a smaller battery as protection from Windows 10, it has a habit of fucking me over really badly.

NOTE: This is all within the context of my laptop, other laptops are different.

There’s a reason for that. That laptop is ancient. It has a 2nd generation processor (we’re currently on the 9th generation). Most phones these days have more power than that laptop (not an exaggeration). If I had to place a date on it I’d say that that laptop is circa 2011-12.

Sorry, that made no sense to me. I don’t know why I find it so funny. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for your patience! :smiley::+1:

:joy::joy: I should have been more attentive. I can read it from your text. A laptop is it. In german we would say he, as a male pronoun.
Thanks a lot :blush:
If I need more, I will come and ask!
:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Oh, that’s what you meant. Well, to me, most things are an ‘it’, even some humans :joy:. Though I’ve never thought about whether it’s a feminine or masculine word.

1 Like

So, the other day I found out that my mum’s ancient Pavilion dv6000 has a socketed CPU, then yesterday I found out that the family laptop (Pavilion G7) also has a socketed CPU. Socketed CPUs on a laptop have been unheard of for a very long time (apart from on the current Alienware Area 51M).

What this means is that I can theoretically stick an i7 3940XM in the G7 and make it rival some modern laptops. However, getting the CPU (used one, obviously, they haven’t been in production for 6 generations), an SSD, more RAM and a new battery would cost almost as much as just buying a new laptop.

However, this isn’t the case for my mum’s laptop. So as a result, I’ll be doing a restoration and upgrade of it over the summer. I’m not quite sure if I should give it the designation of a project. I’ve already ordered a second-hand Core2 Extreme QX9300 (the most powerful Core2 CPU). I also intend to stick a cheap SSD in there, max out the RAM, get a new bigger battery, upgrade from Vista to W10, upgrade / replace the thermal paste, replace the thermal pads and clean out all the dust and crap from it.

As it turns out, I actually have a legit W10H key kicking around my house that the Dell technician gave me when he replaced my motherboard. I never needed to use it as the previous installation for W10 that I had was fine. I also have the key from my old Pvailion 15 which I can try and use as well. Mind you, W10 keys are dirt cheap on amazon by the looks of it.

Also, technically the limit for DDR2 RAM is 4GB per stick, however, 4GB sticks were a rarity back in their day and are even more-so now, this means that 8GB of DDR2 actually costs more than 16GB of modern DDR4 and comes close to 32GB of modern DDR4.

Anyway, here’s an upgrade summary for the dv6000.

Component: From: To:
OS Windows Vista Home Premium Windows 10 Home
CPU Intel Core2 Duo T5750 Intel Core2 Extreme QX9300
Drive Fujitsu MHZ2160B 160GB HDD Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
RAM Samsung 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 Samsung 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2
Battery 4400mAH 5200mAH
Paste Stock - Unknown brand Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Pads Stock - Unknown brand Aikenuo thermal pad

I have a question that could fit here…
Did you guys follow the thing between USA /Google/ Huawei??
I have a Huawei phone, so I actually didn’t get well what will happen about those phones, the updates and stuff… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Does somebody know something more?

No, I just heard that Google blacklisted Huawei, so they won’t get android.

Yeah, I’m really confused :sweat_smile:

it’s all politics my dear!
I bet Huawei will turn out to be the winner in the end
but for now you will have to find alternatives to google apps like google maps!

it’s absurd really… zero respect to consumers, they (you in this case) end up paying the price for a political agenda and they were not even warned to begin with.

This whole thing began with “who’s behind the tampering of elections?” question.
the Russians? the Chinese?
but even that is a show… it’s all money dear @lpfan61

and btw… missed you!
:bow_and_arrow::heartbeat:

2 Likes

:triumph: just because Huawei is earning a bit more money…

Yeah!! Not fair!

Awwww!! :blush: thank you dear bro! I’m more busy cause I found a job finally :muscle: well, at least till the 31st May :sweat_smile:
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart:

1 Like

so happy to hear that dear @lpfan61 :clap::clap::raised_hands::raised_hands:
i hope you’re doing something that utilizes the love wave inside you and makes people smile!
even if you’re being missed here, we know that this is how big waves work!
:wink:

:revolving_hearts:

2 Likes