Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

Fok! I’ve been bitten by the modification bug yet again. I think I’ve finalised the list of what I’m planning to upgrade…for now.

• Corsair MP510 960GB (1024GB raw) m.2 NVMe SSD
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (16GB x 2) DDR4 2400MHz RAM
  • Corsair Force LE200 960GB (1024GB raw) 2.5" SATA 3 SSD (I’m planning to get this one in June to replace the HDD)
  • Intel AC 9260 2230 WiFi card
  • Logitech M590 Bluetooth mouse (I need my second USB port)
  • Arctic CPU/GPU cleaning kit
  • Arctic thermal pads

This is going to be some ridiculous overkill, but even with all of these parts, it’ll still be cheaper than if I had spec’d it to this level from the factory, not to mention I’m using miles better parts.

Too expensive. I rather buy CD’s, occasionally

Cool! Maybe this upgrade will finally clear the tech problems :grin:

2 Likes

The problems I have are purely software based (apart from the janky WiFi card), W10 is the root of all evil.

1 Like

I’m not just saying it because it looks nice, I tried it. I just heard the incredible sound just once and I don’t want anything else :slight_smile:

Woah. Are you going to buy Corsair stuff directly from the manufacturer or? It’s quite expensive

Btw, I’ve changed my phone. I’ve broken the screen of the older one, got it replaced, it was lagging as hell and while my last trip to Europe we came around a new iPhone which costed 500€ less than in Moscow so…))

Also, I’m looking for a new uninterruptible power supply block, as my old one sparks … any ideas? I don’t need something extra powerful

Yeah, I’m going all out. And surprisingly, on their official site, it’s a good £20-£30 cheaper than everywhere else. I’m also going for a Corsair Harpoon wireless mouse and not that logitech stated before and I found thermal pads that were better value for money. Overall the total price will come to about £790 (£1790 if including the laptop) which is a whopping £610 cheaper than the top model being sold on Dell’s site which won’t be as good as mine after mods. It’s a lot of money, but it’s ‘spend loads, cry once’ situation, these mods will last ages and I won’t be needing a better laptop for years.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about UPSs, but why do you need one?

1 Like

Bought it on first sight when we had unstable power supply… seems to be fixed by now but we still have blackouts sometimes

1 Like

I see, it’s funny because we only just started learning about them in uni, but on a non-domestic scale. Time to break out the digital shovel I think.

1 Like

??? I didn’t have English practice for a looong time… an idiom , right ?) don’t know the meaning though

One I came up with :stuck_out_tongue: . It means it’s time to go digging around the internet to see what you’ll find. lol

1 Like

Lol sounds pretty great. I think I’m going to a big tech store once I’m in the city again

1 Like

On a different note, I’ve been watching videos from a laptop repair guy in NYC who does mostly Apple laptops and I was shocked at the internal build quality of Apples, he usually live streams clients’ repairs and openly rants at how badly designed and built they are. As well as the terrible customer service that Apple have and the terrible repair methods they use.

Like for instance, some generation of one of the Macbooks had sh*t soldering, so the GPU would melt the solder joints and come off the PCB. Apple’s solution to the issue was to put a piece of rubber on top of it to sandwich it between the casing and the PCB instead of resoldering it.

The point in me posting this is that I’m wondering which specific Mac you have (model and year), @NickGr, and what problem you’ve had with it.

Mac? IMac 2012,27inch , CoreI5. I think it’s all about the RAM… Fusion Drive might be also gone

1 Like

What about the Macbook?

MacBook is all fine ) air 11 inch 2015, 256 GB of memory

1 Like

This is back when the air was indeed the smallest. Isn’t 256GB too small though? Mind you, have you seen the price of the top-spec, standard, 12" Macbook these days? :joy:

£1864 and this is what you get:

• 12" screen
  • 1 USB-C port
  • 1 headphone jack (that’s 1 more than most Apple devices these days)
  • 512GB PCIe SSD (the only good thing about this laptop, speeds not given,so it might be slow)
  • Dual core i7 (Really? Dual core, in this day and age?)
  • 16 GB, LPDDR3, 1866MHz RAM (Sub 2000MHz RAM today? They must be trolling)

My Dell will cost less after it has been maxed out. :joy:

1 Like

What is the best Processor to have on a laptop

Depends on the laptop, if you want something thin like a Mac or a Dell XPS, you’ll be pushing your luck with anything above an i5. That’s because thin laptops have limited cooling capabilities. When processors get too hot, they’ll thermal throttle. What that means is that the processor will get hot and then it will reduce its own clock speed so that it cools back down. Reducing the clock speed makes the computer slower.

There was a massive fiasco when Apple put an i9 in the 2018 Macbook Pro and it thermal throttled so badly that the base clock frequecy dropped to below 1GHz (which is about the speed of something from the mid 2000s). They released a software patch to try and fix it, but the effects weren’t great. The Dell XPSs running i9s also throttle, but it didn’t get as much coverage as the MBPs.

With the i9 XPSs (and some i7s), a lot of people have under-volted and re-pasted their CPUs. What that means is lowering the supply voltage on the CPU to the point where it verges on instability and then change the thermal paste inside the laptop to something better than stock. All of this is in an attempt to get it to run cooler.

i7s also throttle, but not as much. i5s are where you want to be, they run just fine. If you’re going to stick something as hardcore and ridiculous as an i9 in a laptop, you need something fat with proper cooling that can handle it, like a Dell Alienware.

Pick 2 (you can’t have 3 and the laptop won’t be the remaining option):

• Thin
  • Powerful
  • Cool running

In terms of core count, the standard these days is quad core at the very least.

2 Likes

I was looking at couple of laptops I found 2 I like but I am not sure if there are any good for my purpose

Maybe you could help me with this

1 Like