Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

Still. Lol

Laptop Restoration Log 4:

Looks like I’ll be selling that QX9300 myself as it was past the return window, not too big a deal. I’ve now found a CPU that will hopefully work, it’s chipset, BIOS, FSB speed, etc… seem to be on point. It’s a Core2 Duo T9500, so significantly worse than the Core2 Extreme QX9300 since it’s got two less cores, but this is the second best CPU that I think this laptop can actually run. I could have tried the Core2 Extreme X9000, but didn’t want to end up in the same situation having blown another £60 or so on nothing. The T9500 costs about £48 second hand, there aren’t any new ones on sale for obvious reasons. Weirdly though, the QX9300 was actually brand new, just not in retail packaging.

In other news, I’m also going to buy a W10P key and upgrade to pro, because I want to see the difference and I want more control over the blasted updates.

1 Like

I’m now typing this on the other side of a W10P upgrade, it seems to have worked and everything is fine…for now. I can’t believe I actually managed to get a legit W10P key from amazon for about £8. I know it’s legit because I ran a command promt and it came up as a retail version. I’ll keep this thread apprised of anything that happens.

On a different note, Realtek audio drivers can eat shit, they keep breaking my custom EQ.

2 Likes

Laptop Restoration Log 5:

The WiFi card came in today. Probably the best £1.90 I’ve spent. It’s a 3x3 card, but despite the laptop only having 2 antennae, the card still works and A LOT better than the last one. The last one was getting maybe 10 Mb/s on the DL when hooked up to 5G (I’m amazed that a card this old can connect to 5G), this one gets 60-70 Mb/s. This one has Bluetooth, but because the laptop and card are so old, the drivers for the card are not supported by W10. That means that W10 is running generic drivers that are only just enough to make the card work.

That means that I still can’t connect the ExpressCard mouse. As a result, I’ve just ordered a USB Bluetooth receiver, because I’ve spent too long looking for drivers and other solutions and found nothing. The new card is not a loss though, given the crazy speed increase.

Can somebody please break me out of the 3 post limit? Thanks.

2 Likes

Setting you free :muscle: :grin:

2 Likes

Laptop Restoration Log 6:

This will probably be the second to last LRL. The T9500 came in today (annyoingly with some pins bent), spent the past hour or so fitting it and it works. The laptop is noticeably faster and it now idles at around 35C which is 10C cooler than my XPS.

In terms of benchmarks, I didn’t get to test the exact stock setup as the software didn’t work on Vista, but I found someone else’s run with the same laptop and hardware and the results look as you’d expect.

Stock laptop results:

Fully modified results:

As numbers and benchmarks go, it’s still pretty terrible. However, as improvements go, it’s significant. Below are the percentage increases for various ratings.

• Gaming: No difference (this is determined almost entirely by the GPU which hasn’t been touched).
  • Desktop: 42% better
  • Workstation: 16% better

For the 3 main ratings, the laptop is on average 20% better than before.

• CPU: 70% better
  • GPU: 0% better
  • Drive: 143% better (this number would be even higher if the laptop had a SATA 3 port and not a SATA 2).
  • RAM: 24% better

For the in-depth ratings, the laptop is on average 59% better.

The final RLR will probably be out in the next day or two when the Bluetooth receiver comes in. Then I reckon the build will be complete. I might even consider this a project and put it on my site, but I’ll see.

2 Likes

Laptop Restoration Log 7:

This is the last log for the restoration as the Bluetooth receiver came in yesterday, and as expected works just fine. I’d consider this a fairly successful project in that the end goal was achieved with a couple of hiccoughs in the process. Those include the CPU mistake on my part (a £60 mistake). Then there’s HP’s shonky build quality which means that the power button is now dead, but because the build quality is so dodgy, the touch buttons for DVD controls also work as a power button for reasons I can’t explain.

The project costs are below:

Part: Model: Price (£):
CPU Intel Core2 Extreme QX9300 59.99
CPU Intel Core2 Duo T9500 37.98
SSD Crucial MX500 2.5” 250GB 37.17
RAM Samsung 4GB 800MHz DDR2 15.90
WiFi card Intel 4965AGN 1.89
Battery Green Cell Pro 5200mAh (Samsung cells) 36.95
Mouse Mogo X54 Pro 11.67
Bluetooth receiver TP Link UB400 10.05
OS Windows 10 Home 0.00
Thermal paste Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 0.00
Thermal pads Aikenuo thermal pads 0.00
Total: - 211.60

The paste, pads and OS I counted as 0 because I has them before the project started. If I hadn’t messed up with the CPU, the project would have only cost £151.61. Hopefully I can make some of that back if I manage to sell it. For £150 you can’t even buy a chromebook, for £212 you won’t find anything better on the market right now.

I spent today cleaning the dust out of the XPS yet again, I can’t believe how quickly it sucks up dust and how much of it it sucks up. I suspect it has something to do with the ancient carpets in the house and the amount of dust ingrained deep in them. We clean regularly, but the landlord won’t let us put new ones in.

Anyway, I was finding dust in places where I really didn’t expect, such as on the other side of the battery and some of the thermal pads were encrusted in dust. So I swapped out the pads, cleaned the entire laptop (took the motherboard out) and put fresh pads in, I decided to put pads on the RAM as well, despite it running perfectly cool and having zero issue. I also decided to experiment with pads on the sides of the fans. Not to thermally couple them to the bottom plate of the casing, but to form a seal around the intake grates to stop the fans from hurling dust all around the laptop. Their ability to cool the heatsink hasn’t been impeded at all.

2 Likes

I’d say you’ve got yourself a decent laptop for quite a good price(for an impossible price if you ask me lol)

1 Like

That was the point of the project. lol

1 Like

Someone actually bought the QX9300 for £50 today, so I only lost £10 on it in the end. I also spent about 5 mins messing around with the new Donglebook Pro 15 in a shop today. Exactly the same as the 2018 one. Key travel is next to non-existent, keys are too noisy, the touch bar is pure shit, the trackpad is nothing special and the screen hinge feels like it will break if you so much as look at it funny.

@rickvanmeijel , there’s an opportunity for Apple bashing here.

1 Like

Lol! I was just bashing yesterday evening about the ‘‘innovative’’ qualities of the company :joy:
But that sounds like fair criticism about the keys and touchpad. Never touched a Donkeybook Pro so I wouldn’t know though

2 Likes

Which thread was that in?

Never heard of that

I like Rick’s variant more :joy:

1 Like

Everyone calls it that because of all the adapters you need to plug anything into it.

In my living room :smile:

1 Like

As much as I hate to say it, Apple do some things right…and then instead of pointing the gun down and shooting themselves in the foot, they point it up and shoot themselves in the head. Case in point, Magsafe, a very good invention, is now and forever dead.

2 Likes

This “now” lasts for like two years. One of the main reasons I took MacBook Air instead of that MacBook

I was going to do some Crapple bashing, but my work has been done for me. :joy:

@rickvanmeijel

Damn so many arguments presented… I have nothing to say anymore… :joy:

2 Likes

Louis’ channel is great. He’s a Macbook repair technician who posts educational board repair videos, but he loathes Apple. He also does other vids too.