Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

You think or you know? I’d rahter you understood fully, where do you want me to elaborate?

I didn’t even know Aldi did laptops. Buy something with a name when you go to upgrade. Just not Apple Crapple.

Latitudes are business grade laptops, you can’t buy them from Dell’s consumer site. It should be decent. How old is it and what are the specs?

2 Likes

Broken down you forgo the bigger battery for more storage.
The exact terms and numbers are not really mine to understand even less to memories. :grimacing:

Aldi laptop are medion. My battery is long gone, I always need to plug in. Not worth a new one anymore.

20190509_195024
Thats my daughters. It’s loud, not much battery ether, slow, promised Bluetooth isn’t working, if you close it, it hangs, no standby.
But you don’t need to make any suggestions in that direction, my daughter wouldn’t let me near it, at least as long as it works.
Other question, is a laptop he ore it?

1 Like

Correct, you either have a bigger battery and less storage (though 2TB is still a lot) or smaller battery and more storage. I have a smaller battery as protection from Windows 10, it has a habit of fucking me over really badly.

NOTE: This is all within the context of my laptop, other laptops are different.

There’s a reason for that. That laptop is ancient. It has a 2nd generation processor (we’re currently on the 9th generation). Most phones these days have more power than that laptop (not an exaggeration). If I had to place a date on it I’d say that that laptop is circa 2011-12.

Sorry, that made no sense to me. I don’t know why I find it so funny. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for your patience! :smiley::+1:

:joy::joy: I should have been more attentive. I can read it from your text. A laptop is it. In german we would say he, as a male pronoun.
Thanks a lot :blush:
If I need more, I will come and ask!
:kissing_heart:

1 Like

Oh, that’s what you meant. Well, to me, most things are an ‘it’, even some humans :joy:. Though I’ve never thought about whether it’s a feminine or masculine word.

1 Like

So, the other day I found out that my mum’s ancient Pavilion dv6000 has a socketed CPU, then yesterday I found out that the family laptop (Pavilion G7) also has a socketed CPU. Socketed CPUs on a laptop have been unheard of for a very long time (apart from on the current Alienware Area 51M).

What this means is that I can theoretically stick an i7 3940XM in the G7 and make it rival some modern laptops. However, getting the CPU (used one, obviously, they haven’t been in production for 6 generations), an SSD, more RAM and a new battery would cost almost as much as just buying a new laptop.

However, this isn’t the case for my mum’s laptop. So as a result, I’ll be doing a restoration and upgrade of it over the summer. I’m not quite sure if I should give it the designation of a project. I’ve already ordered a second-hand Core2 Extreme QX9300 (the most powerful Core2 CPU). I also intend to stick a cheap SSD in there, max out the RAM, get a new bigger battery, upgrade from Vista to W10, upgrade / replace the thermal paste, replace the thermal pads and clean out all the dust and crap from it.

As it turns out, I actually have a legit W10H key kicking around my house that the Dell technician gave me when he replaced my motherboard. I never needed to use it as the previous installation for W10 that I had was fine. I also have the key from my old Pvailion 15 which I can try and use as well. Mind you, W10 keys are dirt cheap on amazon by the looks of it.

Also, technically the limit for DDR2 RAM is 4GB per stick, however, 4GB sticks were a rarity back in their day and are even more-so now, this means that 8GB of DDR2 actually costs more than 16GB of modern DDR4 and comes close to 32GB of modern DDR4.

Anyway, here’s an upgrade summary for the dv6000.

Component: From: To:
OS Windows Vista Home Premium Windows 10 Home
CPU Intel Core2 Duo T5750 Intel Core2 Extreme QX9300
Drive Fujitsu MHZ2160B 160GB HDD Crucial MX500 250GB SSD
RAM Samsung 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 Samsung 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2
Battery 4400mAH 5200mAH
Paste Stock - Unknown brand Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Pads Stock - Unknown brand Aikenuo thermal pad

I have a question that could fit here…
Did you guys follow the thing between USA /Google/ Huawei??
I have a Huawei phone, so I actually didn’t get well what will happen about those phones, the updates and stuff… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Does somebody know something more?

No, I just heard that Google blacklisted Huawei, so they won’t get android.

Yeah, I’m really confused :sweat_smile:

it’s all politics my dear!
I bet Huawei will turn out to be the winner in the end
but for now you will have to find alternatives to google apps like google maps!

it’s absurd really… zero respect to consumers, they (you in this case) end up paying the price for a political agenda and they were not even warned to begin with.

This whole thing began with “who’s behind the tampering of elections?” question.
the Russians? the Chinese?
but even that is a show… it’s all money dear @lpfan61

and btw… missed you!
:bow_and_arrow::heartbeat:

2 Likes

:triumph: just because Huawei is earning a bit more money…

Yeah!! Not fair!

Awwww!! :blush: thank you dear bro! I’m more busy cause I found a job finally :muscle: well, at least till the 31st May :sweat_smile:
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart:

1 Like

so happy to hear that dear @lpfan61 :clap::clap::raised_hands::raised_hands:
i hope you’re doing something that utilizes the love wave inside you and makes people smile!
even if you’re being missed here, we know that this is how big waves work!
:wink:

:revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you very much!! :blush: :hugs: :hugs: :heart:

Awww! You’re so kind! :blush:
I’m doing cleanings at a stadium :stadium: well for now, cause the company works at factories,offices etc… I became friend with some of my collegues so I’m happy and also I get money :laughing:

Awww! I miss you all too and I’m trying to be here when I’m free! :muscle: :heart: :hugs: :hugs:

3 Likes

Laptop Restoration Log 1:

Started working on the dv6700 yesterday, put in the new battery and SSD. Installed W10H on it…and, well…the laptop is not happy. At least the CPU isn’t happy. It went from idling at about 85C to idling at 95 and then after some time idling at 100. What concerns me is the battery placement relative to the CPU. They’re about 20mm apart. Also, everything else seemed to be getting really hot. It got so hot that the glue for the Intel, Nvidia and Windows stickers on the palm rest melted off and the stickers fell off. If it continues like this, I’ll downgrade it back to WV.

I’ve got the new CPU ready to be placed in, but I want the RAM and WiFi card to get here first. I had to order a new WiFi card, because apparently the current one doesn’t have Bluetooth despite there being Bluetooth setting in the control panel. I need Bluetooth for the ExpressCard mouse which got here ages ago. That thing is great, tried it on the XPS and it is surprisingly good for what it is. Only the touch scroll is a bit iffy. However, for a £12 piece of 12 year old technology, I can’t complain.

2 Likes

Laptop Restoration Log 2:

The RAM came in a couple of hours after I posed the first log, I fitted it on the day. As expected, it runs just fine, it’s twice the RAM from before (I went from 2GB to 4GB), but the laptop isn’t suddenly going to rival my XPS…obviously.

I spent today fitting the new CPU, getting in was quite the faff and I took about 7kg of 11 year old dust out of the heatsink and fan. The GPU had way too little thermal paste and the paste on the CPU was too much and solid because it hasn’t been touched in over 11 years. It was just as much a faff to reassemble it.

After reassmbling it, I fire it up and…well…the situation isn’t good. It switches on, but there’s nothing on the display. I thought maybe W10 was playing dirty, so I put the stock HDD with WV in and I was getting the same result. So it’s not W10. I then tried to plug it into the TV, again nothing. So it’s not the display cable. I doubt it’s the GPU as I haven’t done anything to it. My guess is that it’s the CPU. I’ll get back into the laptop tomorrow and put the old CPU back in. In the mean time, I’ll be digging around online to see what the issue could be. My guess is that it’s more of HP’s proprietary bullshit where they have a blacklist of CPUs, just like they do with WiFi cards.

My dad suggested that it might need drivers, but I’m doubtful of that. If it does, then I’ll just pop the SSD out, plug it into the XPS, download the relevant drivers from there and then put the SSD back in. That way I don’t have to waste time opening the entire laptop again.

Here are some pics from today:

Upgrade CPU (left) and old CPU (right).

In other news, there’s new info on the 2019 XPS 15. For some reason they’re calling it the 7590. Anyway, Not much has changed in terms of design, a lot of people are complaining about it. I’m glad it’s the same, because it looks great as it is now, it’s civilised style. The webcam is finally at the top of the screen though.

Speaking of the screen, they now have a 4K OLED option, and thank god it’s not a touchscreen, to me touchscreen laptops are just stupid. The laptop does still come with the 4K touch, but it isn’t OLED. Other new features include a WiFi 6 card and the ability of spec it up with 64GB of RAM out of the factory (which will be a total rip-off, buy the cheapest one and upgrade it yourself). It will also contrina upto an i9 9980HK and they will all be runnning GTX 1650 GPUs.

The 7590 should be released at some point this month.

3 Likes

I’m setting up a 4G router only for myself and my PS4 in the country once I’m there
I mean, we have a WIFI but the connection is so damn slow because of the air bridge – the cable comes form the high voltage line outside of our territory - so it basically enters only the generator room where it’s connected to a TPLink outside router which is air bridged to another one on the top of our house. The issue is that the first TPlink one not only provides air bridge but also provides the network across the territory so the speed is kinda… kinda LOWS

1 Like

What if you waited a bit for WiFi 6, or is it going to take 2 centuries before it gets to your area in the middle of nowhere?

1 Like

I doubt WIFI 6 is gonna be working even in Moscow… it sometimes takes our providers a little too long. Plus I’m gonna be there for a week after 6th , so I need some games right now lol( gonna do all the possible stuff in a couple of days and get bored)

1 Like

Laptop Restoration Log 3:

I’m an idiot, just plain and simple. I put the old CPU back in and the laptop is fine, in fact I’m currently typing from it. My dad was right, it was indeed a software issue. In my excitement for a new CPU, I completely overlooked the fact that the BIOS might not support the CPU. And what do you know? It doesn’t. I’ll try to find a way around it with a possible BIOS update or something similar, but if it doesn’t work, I’ll probably return it and buy one that is supported by the BIOS.

In other news, since I cleaned all the dust out of the heatsink and fan (there was so much of it that you couldn’t see through the heatsink fins), the laptop has now gone from idling at 95-100C to idling at 70-75C, that’s an insane improvement.

3 Likes

Will you return the unsupported CPU to the store? Is it possible? AFAIK, CPUs are quite expensive…

1 Like