Geek thread - Discuss IT stuff

I’ve never dealt with Apple computers so idk but the short ribbon wire means, if you ever do get it open, don’t pull the two pieces apart too quickly or that cable will tear/break :confused:
They left very little slack on the wires making it difficult to work with

This will answer those questions.

The ribbon wire is a thin plastic with lots of little tracks in it (like for the keyboard of my HP some posts ago), it’s really short, so if you pull it too hard, you rip it straight off. As for the screen, it uses adhesive strips. So you risk cracking it while prying it off.

Ah, I know this, just as the other name… shleif(dunno how to translate this into English)

Ordered the mouse (Corsair Harpoon wireless), M.2 NVMe SSD (Corsair Force MP510 960 GB) and 2.5" SATA SSD (Corsair Force LE200 960 GB) yesterday. Still need to order the rest of the components.

I swapped the 6 GB RAM in my dad’s laptop for the 8 GB from my old laptop today. So now his laptop RAM is maxed out and mine is running 6 GB. From what I understood, he wants to max out the RAM on the even more ancient DV6000 to a whopping 4 GB since it will only cost about £35.

1 Like

Hey all…i was thinking of buying a dash cam… does anyone use one and what are they like…and quality. Im in the UK so not sure if different types/brands…may have to get from amazon. Thanks in advance for the advice! :grinning:

Well it depends on what sort of quality you want. The crappy GoPro ripoff that I strap to my R/C truck does an ok job of capturing video considering it only cost ~£40. They claim it can do 4K @ 25 FPS and 1080p @ 60 FPS. That’s BS, the gifs below are supposed to be 1080 @ 60. It’s 1080 for a potato maybe.

You will need to buy an external micro SD card (my recommendadion is 32GB min). You’re also best off setting it to the lowest possible resolution and FPS settings (within reason) so that it eats through the memory as slowly as possible. At 1080p / 60FPS mine eats through about 3.3 GB / 15 mins. So a 32GB card will last about 145 mins, the battery will last for a whole lot less, so you’d be best off with a long USB cable and a 12V lighter terminal to USB adapter.

There are some gifs in this post (keep in mind that they are compressed, though the oringinal image isn’t too great).

There’s definitely better stuff out there, but this is something I can recommend for a reasonable price. This comes with a load of attachments and two batteries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campark-ACT74-Waterproof-Underwater-Batteries/dp/B01J51W5QG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1548545491&sr=8-3&keywords=campark+4k+action+camera

EDIT: The streaming to your phone over WiFi function is a gimmick, has a lot of latency, but it works…sort of.

2 Likes

cool thanks Rob ill have a look into it!

1 Like

I’ve just seen this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Camera-Lights-Recording-G-Sensor-4-inches/dp/B07HHWZXLJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1548547845&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dash+cameras+front+and+rear+with+night+vision&psc=1&smid=A1194YK6N180V8

any thoughts?

For that kind of price it seems like a total gimmick. Night vision? Definite BS. Those LEDs? Won’t reach past the end of the bonnet, I don’t get why they’re there. G sensor? Probably just a tilt switch, you can’t expect crash telemetry from something that cheap. For around that price you can safely work under the assumption that any fancy-sounding features are nonsense.

1 Like

lol ok ill stay away!

Sounds pretty non-standard. Curious - why not buying a terabyte ?)

It’s 1TB raw, 960 is what you’re more likely to get realistically. Speaking of, I ordered the remainder of the components earlier.

All components bought:

• Corsair Vengeance 32GB, 2400MHz, DDR4 RAM
  • Corsair Force MP510 960GB M.2 NVMe SSD (It’s 1TB raw)
  • Corsair Force LE200 960GB 2.5" SATA SSD (Again, 1TB raw, replacing my HDD)
  • Corsair Harpoon wireless mouse
  • Intel AC 9260 WiFi card
  • Arctic Silver CPU cleaning kit with AS5 paste
  • Aikenuo thermal pad 200x200x1.5mm
  • Eluteng 2.5" drive enclosure
  • Eluteng M.2 drive enclosure
2 Likes

Damn, i envy you. Corsair components are decent… and too hard to get with a decent price here

1 Like

I grabbed the last 2.5" SSD, from what I know, those aren’t in production. I wanted to do one massive wave of mods and then not touch the laptop ever again…until they make 32GB sticks of RAM, my processor can handle 64GB, but only has 2 slots. :joy:

1 Like

I have a feeling i’ve seen those sold online… lemme have a look. Here it is
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2x16GB-PC4-19200-Systems/dp/B01CYILUB8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548701846&sr=1-1&keywords=32+gb+ram

oh LMAO
not one ! my fault

1 Like

The technology doesn’t exist. We only have a max of 16GB per stick. Also, laptops use SODIMM, the one in the link is UDIMM I think.

1 Like

What a pity… actually i might be looking for a good RAM stick too… for the Imac, would be great

I know Corsair do Mac-specific memory, but I think it was DDR3 for laptops.

Not buying it on Amazon anyway… UPS will definitely break it, i know how they treat packs

I found that pretty much all the Corsair components were cheaper on their official site. RAM prices went down rapidly though. First it was £220 on their site, then £200 and then Amazon dropped theirs to just over £189. This was in the space of 3 or 4 days.

1 Like