Cowgill Frat Boi

:exploding_head: yeahhhhh! Christmas break! :tada:
Has to be good for something! :partying_face:
Thank you! :clap:
I really enjoyed reading :ok_hand:
You are skilled, bringing your project onto paper. And not only what you’ve done exactly, but also the excitement in it. :star_struck:
Sure, you would do it better today, this shows your progress in studying. :muscle:
Hey, and thanks, finally a picture of you! :joy:

1 Like

Reminds me, I need to make something of a mega post in my thread too. lol

Why? The amount of weird stuff I’ve done with crowds around is hilarious. :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for thr tag buddy!! :sparkles: I’ll read soon!

1 Like

Ik that feeling… Many times we want things to be more systematic and perfect but group members deny or don’t pay much attention :sweat_smile:

But i agree it’d have been really dope !

What are they made of ??? Ply? it looks so cool! Cute and small :grin:

That seems very tough to make. You had any special tools for cutting? Or its my laser cutting?

Burchard halls truly seems grand :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ah where??

1 Like

Those models are made of a variety of bass wood, chipboard, paper, and some fabric.

Some of the more intricate pieces, like the meters on the panel and gears, were laser cut. The rest were just hand cut with my exacto knife.

On the board :joy:

1 Like

Corner Project
First Year

This project was another big oof. I still cannot decide which project was worse, this or the fairy tale one. The prompt for this was literally: “what is a corner?” wtf. That’s the type of architectural garbage that makes me angry. A corner is where 3 or more planes meet at a point. Yes, it can be represented in an infinite amount of ways, but it has a definite definition.

Dumbed down, my professor just wanted us to study different ways to make a corner. But it couldn’t be too straight forward or architectural. It had to be some ridiculous, round-about idea concerning a corner. People in my studio actually had such a difficult time coming up with “correct ideas” that my professor had to personally approve each project before we could progress :joy:.

Not gonna lie, I had a difficult time coming up with a good idea as well. My ideas were all too literal or architectural. Eventually my professor steered me in a direction that worked: studying perceived corners. Basically my idea was creating 3 planes coming together into a point (like the corner of a simple cube), except the point where they meet was removed. However your mind perceived the planes continuing into a non-existent point.

IMG_0998

idk. I hated this all. To me, the empty space actually looked like different 3 dimensional shapes, depending on the shape of the cut-out, resting in the corner. Its easier to see when they are resting on a solid background. I had no idea how to continue on with this project at this point. I think my professor saw I was struggling with this prompt, so he just suggested for me to construct the larger, square corner out of concrete. I took that advice without question and set out on designing a mold with which to cast it in. I hoped to design it so that it could be reused, allowing me to create an army of these little corner pieces (I don’t know why I thought this was remotely a good idea).

My final design was a wooded box with a cube inside to create the opening at the corner. I created these ridiculous joints to join the mold together which ended up being my downfall. Also the wood warped really badly when I started cutting it all up. It was all a big oof. A few days before it was due I remember one of the woodshop guys walking up to me telling me I was doing everything wrong and that I had to leave because they were closing. I was dummy angry. He was lucky there weren’t any babies in the local vicinity. As I walked out I dropped everything in the trash. I just forgot about it at that point and moved on. I think my professor knew what was up because he never brought it up again either.

DSC_5099

This was as far as I got. The gray dude on the left was the intended concrete product and the guy on the right was the part of the mold I had finished before I stopped. All I had left was the final two walls to close it off. It would not have worked though; the warping had prevented the pieces from fitting flush against one another. Oh well, if nothing else it gave me some good wood shop practice.

@Honey8
@anna834

5 Likes

Where 3 planes join in 3D space. Job done. :joy:

More than 3 planes? What are the others besides XY, XZ and YZ?

This makes zero sense. What does that even mean? :joy:

It’s some next level BS. lol

That’s because they are, they are no longer corners as the 3 planes don’t intersect at any point.

Did you actually submit anything?

2 Likes

And a good story for us! :star_struck:
Thank you! :hugs:
Great telling! I really enjoyed myself! :joy:
And I also did get your troubles with it, at least I think so. :upside_down_face:

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I was thinking of ridiculous shapes like this guy

It was dumb. It be honest I don’t even remember other people’s projects.

We don’t actually submit anything in architecture. We just get a final grade at the end of the semester on what we’ve done overall.

2 Likes

Isn’t a corner only 90 degrees though? If you’ve got more than 3 planes intersecting, not all of them would be 90 apart. Or have I got my definition wrong?

1 Like

I didn’t think they had to be 90 degrees apart. I was under the impression that 2 planes meet at an edge and 3 or more planes meet at a corner.

2 Likes

Oui, the 90deg thing is just practicality in building
The fish is correct…angle don’t matter so long as it’s 3+ planes…

Don’t you call the 90s a square corner or something along those lines?

2 Likes

At least you’re being stimulated to be creative, which is a method that’s severely lacking in our education programs in my opinion.

1 Like

Spatial Narrative Project
First Year

Gang gang, lets keep this ball rolling. In stark contrast to the previous project, this was actually my favorite from my first year. It is quite abstract so I’ll do my best to describe my whole thought process to the best of my ability.

We teamed up with an adjacent studio for this project, so there were like 40 of us (~20 per studio). All 40 of us were given a random “role” out of a hat (literally); like carpenter, soldier, miner, father, consumer, scientist, etc. I was given the role of the writer. Then we were given a grid with the same amount of boxes as there were roles and we had to organize our roles on the grid so that similar roles were adjacent to one another; like father close to mother and child, consumer close to producer, carpenter close to potter, etc. As the writer I was placed on the outside edge, so one of my sides was open to the outside. My other three sides were bordered by the (movie) director, the bookbinder, and the ranger.

Now that we had our roles and neighbors, we had to design and create something that represented our role as well as interacted with our neighbors that could fit into our box on the grid (6 in. x 6 in.). My biggest fascination with writers is their ability to create entirely new universes, with their own unique histories, cultures, lands, cities, people, etc., (this mostly applies to fantasy writers) so my initial ideas all revolved around this concept. Early in the project I drew up ideas of a landscape radiating out from some central piece representing the writer, like a chair or typewriter. However, I realized that this was painfully too representative and needed to be much more abstract.

I liked the idea of the ‘universe’ radiating out from a central object representing the writer. Eventually the ‘writer’ became a sphere while the landscape radiating outward became cubic (like Minecraft) to represent the contrast between real and imaginary. Looking back at my old sketchbook from first year, some of my ideas were incredibly ambitious. For a while I was stuck on the idea that the sphere would be in the center and the cubic landscape would radiate outward but not touch the ground, similar to the rings of a planet, and the whole thing would just balance on the central sphere. However, I think I always knew in the back of my mind that I would not be able to achieve that :joy:. Instead I ended up designing a stand to carry the whole thing. This also allowed me to pull the landscape away from the sphere so that they did not actually touch which I liked.

The next part was determining how each side of the landscape would interact with its respective neighbor. I thought my solutions were clever, but not many people understood my thought process so bear with me. The bookbinder was relatively simple. I shaped the cubic landscape to represent the basic construction of a book, two covers sandwiching the pages together with a spine binding it all together. For the director I incorporated diagonal lines in contrast to the orthogonal cubes to represent a directors interpretation of the writer’s story. I was pretty proud of that one; I thought it was pretty dern clever. The ranger one was a little difficult. I ended up building it up like an outcrop (like the ranger looking out over everything). The side facing the outside of the grid I opened up, representing the writer being open to outside influences and inspiration.

Now I had to build the thing. I ended up deciding that the cube would be wooden and shaped on the lathe. The landscape would be built up in layers of laser-cut chipboard (similar to something 3D printed). Carving the sphere was relatively simple; its not perfect, but its good enough to clearly contrast with the cubes. The landscape was quite intricate though. I drew out each layer individually on Rhino to be laser-cut. I realize not that there are probably 1000 easier ways to do that but this was my first time experimenting with this kind of model. I ended up using 2 full sheets of chipboard to cut everything out (one for the top and one for the bottom, they were mirror images of each other).

image0

The next step was gluing each layer together in the correct order, which was quite a slow and infuriating process. Luckily I only lost one tiny piece throughout the whole process of putting it together.

image1

image0

I ended up being pretty happy with the final product. It actually has some pretty nice weight when you hold it in your hand which is pretty satisfying. In addition to the model we also needed a drawing for accompany it. My professor had wanted an axonometric drawing, but after trying for a few hours I realized that, with all the little cubic corners on mine, that was near impossible for me. I ended up doing something much simpler (mostly because it was around 10pm at this time and it was due 8am the next morning) and focused on all the layers of the model. I made it really sketchy which I ended up liking.

image2

image3

Spatial Narrative Graphic 2 Edited DARK

The overall ‘neghborhood’ was not that attractive and did not quite achieve the intended aesthetic we were hoping for. Not many people collaborated with their neighbors, so it was a mess and the whole grid layout became irrelevant. Oh well, big oof. I was happy with how my guy turned out so that’s all that matters to me.

@Honey8
@anna834

5 Likes

You should have just 3D printed lol, it would have taken a significant amount of filament depending on your settings, but it also would have taken over 24h to print. All you would have had to do was CAD it, slice it and then just set it to print. For the drawing you could have just exported a DXF of the faces or posted a printscreen of the file. :joy:

EDIT:

Who was the person that just stuck a bunch of acrylic rods in a plank of wood?

1 Like

I’ve never been a fan of 3D printing models. I prefer the look and feel of wood and chipboard much more than the layered plastic. Not to mention it’s also much cheaper than buying all that filament.

Lmao, no idea :joy: Hopefully it was someone from the other studio. I don’t remember who though.

1 Like

Hey,
Thanks for the tag, had real fun reading again.
Donno why, but your thing remembers me of something out of star wars.

I can’t totally get the context to architecture of this assignment, looks more like art school.

Little curious what the professor said to your building?
And also to the whole end result. Did he criticises, that the single objects do so badly fit to each other?
Again the whole table could be a map of a star wars town. :grin:

Thanks for sharing :hugs:

1 Like

First year is foundation. Industrial design, interior design, landscape architecture, and architecture all study together. It isn’t until second year that we are separated into our individual majors. Foundation is mostly intended to stimulate our thought-processes and creativity.

If you’re referring to my initial design, he basically said what I wrote: “it’s way too representative.” I was regurgitating the prompt back out rather than reimagining it and putting my own spin on it.

He had actually criticized it before the final pinup. He had seen that there wasn’t much collaboration between the students, so that idea was scrapped. Instead he incorporated a rule where the projects increased in height towards the center to give it some semblance of cohesion. Didn’t really work well in my opinion though :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That’s a nice way yo going into this!

That, I don’t really get.
Wasn’t the whole object your idea?

:joy:

Btw why are you up at this hour? :flushed:

1 Like

It was too obvious and representational. It needed to be more abstract and representative. Think of it like a book or a movie; rather than blatantly saying “something bad will occur soon” (which is what I initially did), it’s better to represent the idea with a storm, crow, etc. (which my final idea achieved much better).

Can’t sleep right now.

2 Likes