Broken LIVING THINGS RECHARGED PREMIUM DELUXE BOX

This, itā€™s just a marketing bumf. If you can provide an actual design spec / spec sheet or schematic, now weā€™re talking. Though thatā€™s never going to happen.

2 Likes

I just dug mine out for the first time in a couple years. The ferrofluid in mine has also turned to liquid. This is all thatā€™s included as far as care.

3 Likes

Lol the warning labels are hella funnyā€¦

Itā€™s a shame they donā€™t offer plans for caring and maintaining it for the long run with it being a collectible

1 Like

I think that itā€™s exactly because itā€™s a collectible that there arenā€™t care instructions. Frankly I donā€™t think they saw people getting multiple years out of these or buying and then not forgetting about them.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve wanted to get one of these for years now, but Iā€™ve only seen 2 broken ones on eBay that I ended up passing on. Looks like thatā€™s all that exists now unfortunately. This was not a cheap product, it really sucks they werenā€™t built to last

1 Like

I remember questing this things existence and the cost on twitter on Mikeā€™s tweet thinking he wouldnā€™t see it, and he did and replied.

Wish I could easily dig that up.

2 Likes

Done

I think he confused his arse with his mouth there :joy:. Itā€™s that expensive because artists know that there are die hard drones out there that will spend any amount of money on any kind of tat that an artist will pump out.

These are my optimistic estimations (i.e itā€™s probably cheaper) for production costs:

• Fancy box (multilayer cardboard, fancy opening, padding, colour): ~Ā£5
  • LE CD (assuming a retail price of ~Ā£15): ~Ā£5
  • Book (Hard covers, gloss papaer, colour ink): ~Ā£10
  • Fancy-looking magnet: ~Ā£2
  • Globe (generic glass, generic wood [probably pine, might be something slightly nicer], sculpture [most likely injection moulded], ferro fluid, glue): ~Ā£15

Total: ~Ā£37 - Letā€™s call it Ā£40 for simplicity.

Generally the rule of thumb (as said by an experienced design and production engineer I once spoke to) is to mark things up to 3 times the production cost. So if this cost Ā£40 to make, they should have sold it for ~Ā£120, but instead they sold it for ~Ā£360. Thatā€™s a 9 times mark-up from the estimated production cost.

What youā€™re actually paying for is a logo and a placebo.

Daaaaamnā€¦ how you do dat

NM, got it figured out.

Wish you could search for likes, to see who has liked your tweets, be interesting.

Yeah the Twitter search functionality is pretty fleshed out, just searched from Mike, to you, and around 2013

Thatā€™s generous :grimacing: I donā€™t get into it much but I hear of margins being much bigger

I agree but then again itā€™s the marketā€¦canā€™t blame them for striking while they can-cough cough pt cough cough

Obviously thatā€™s going to vary by manufacturer, but he said it was a general ball park.

1 Like

Pure curiosity but was he into a specific market? Auto?

He was from a company that made bespoke electronics, no idea if he has dabbled in the past or if he has connections though.

1 Like

Guys thanks for the suggestions and responses. As can be seen on the safety instruction guide, czferro are the ones to provide the ferrofluid. So it should be possible to grab some new fluid from then.
I have zero experiences or ideas of cleaning this stuff, but I will carefully try out your suggestions with a friend of mine, whom surely will have a bit more knowledge. Will let you know how it goes, whenever we do the thing.
Hopefully more owners of the box set will check by this thread by then.
@LP13413 can you upload some pictures of your globe so we can compare?

2 Likes

Ferrofluid is generic stuff, itā€™s like water. Doesnā€™t matter who you get it from, itā€™s still water, you just need the right volume.

Iā€™m not liable for any f*ck ups. :joy:

1 Like

And honestly, lots of the fluids will look alike in the orb for sure.
Of course, thatā€™s why I bring my friend :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For comparison, I made an unboxing video when mine arrived.

This is what it looks like today.

DSCN3058 DSCN3059 DSCN3060

2 Likes

That looks like the crap that comes out of my ceiling these days. Legit. :joy:

3 Likes

oh my godā€¦

1 Like