Broken LIVING THINGS RECHARGED PREMIUM DELUXE BOX

A few months ago I finally got my premium box set, bought it second hand. Unfortunately, the magnetic fluid inside the orb had evaporated and left some white crunchy stuff outside the orb. Damn it.
Anyone else have tried something similar?
I’ve contacted Linkin Park customer service twice to get some information as to which fluid they used and whether it’s possible to insert the fluid myself by unscrewing the orb somehow. Yet they refused to help, basically saying they had no idea in a standard way of answer.
If someone knows something, please let me know. Cheers.image image

Well for cleaning it off, you could try IPA. As for the fluid itself, what’s it meant to do? You could try botching your own magnetic fluid. The frist thing you want to do though is find the leak by filling it with water or something then sealing it with something like silicone sealant for bathrooms.

I think it is supposed to be ferrofluid. I am not sure how you would put it back in though.

I am wondering if the white stuff is just glue, and that would also explain that the ferrofluid leaked out rather than evaporated

You could drill a hole in the base, refill it and then, put some kind of ‘plug’ or ‘stopper’ in the hole and epoxy it shut

Also, by ‘magnetic’ do you mean that it was magnetised (i.e. stuff was atracted to it) or it could be magnetised (i.e. it got attracted by magnets). If it’s the latter, just get some iron filings and oil of an appropriate viscosity and just re-fill it. Mind you, I don’t know how you rate your practical skills, @benjaminmanastorm. :joy:

1 Like

Yeah it was magnetized, Below is a video of it.

I’m wondering if the bottom can be pulled open (slowly and gently, obviously) to see if there is a gap near the base. Might be easier to do it that way and then use silicone to close it back up again (and then glue) just to make sure it doesn’t evaporate (@the_termin8r would maybe be able to advise you if silicone would react with ferrofluid?) . Living in a hot country, the temperature gets so warm, that sometimes the glue on things melts and drips down the side and then rehardens if the temperature cools.

This I think

Isopropyl alcohol at 70% concentration, though the ferrofluid might have already stained the glass

1 Like

That’s literally iron filings in a fluid of some kind (oil would be my guess). Google-ing it actually says treated kerosene, so I’m not far off.

Since it’s oil based, silicone probably won’t be the best solution as it will degrade at the leak due to its contact with the oil.

What the hell kind of crappy glues do they use? :joy:

Epoxy typically melts at around 180C and superglue melts at around 190C.

1 Like

You would be surprised at how many things do not use proper glue :joy: That being said, it really does get extremely hot here. Almost everything melts (including us humans :joy: ) in this heat if the air-conditioning is not turned on in the summer.

Does the concentration matter?

Then there’s that. Acetone perhaps? That’s provided that it’s actually glass and not some kind of plastic composite or anything similar. In that case acetone would just eat through it. :joy:

1 Like

Not sure, going off suggestions lol
As for the glass, ideally the manufacturer would’ve coated the glass to prevent the fluid from making contact but who knows…

Idk how much he can clean it :confused:
I’d say fill it, let it settle, empty and refill a couple times to try to clear it up some and see how the glass is, with any luck it just looks bad right now and will rinse plenty when the fluid is added

1 Like

Let’s not forget, this is band merch with like a production run of 7 units. Who knows what kind of crappy OEM they used. My bet is it’s actually made of weapons grade Chinesium. :joy:

He’d need to get right in there. We’re also assuming that the bottom of the sphere hasn’t been melted shut out of the factory. It might have sprung a leak because the glass cracked, not becuase the glue is letting go.

Agreed, I’d say give it a few hours after you fill it.

:rofl:
Try the acetone then lol Jk jk

Possibly… I’d guess it would show signs of cracking somewhere else on the sphere though so I’d go with the guess that it just came unstoppered

1 Like
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid)

Screenshot_20200105-164449_Chrome

Just because the description I says it’s a glass globe, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s glass :grimacing:

1 Like

IMG_20191208_120052

:microscope::magnet::test_tube::face_with_monocle::triumph::unamused::roll_eyes::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::joy::purple_heart:

1 Like

This, it’s just a marketing bumf. If you can provide an actual design spec / spec sheet or schematic, now we’re talking. Though that’s never going to happen.

2 Likes

I just dug mine out for the first time in a couple years. The ferrofluid in mine has also turned to liquid. This is all that’s included as far as care.

3 Likes

Lol the warning labels are hella funny…

It’s a shame they don’t offer plans for caring and maintaining it for the long run with it being a collectible

1 Like

I think that it’s exactly because it’s a collectible that there aren’t care instructions. Frankly I don’t think they saw people getting multiple years out of these or buying and then not forgetting about them.

2 Likes

I’ve wanted to get one of these for years now, but I’ve only seen 2 broken ones on eBay that I ended up passing on. Looks like that’s all that exists now unfortunately. This was not a cheap product, it really sucks they weren’t built to last

1 Like