Personal Journey

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I haven’t been on here recently due to some personal issues going on at home.

My wife of nearly 2 years has been diagnosed with depression and she is seeking counselling. She seems too embarrassed to admit the fact she’s going to therapy to mention it to her family. She always feels judged by her dad, and she feels as if there is anything wrong with her one way or another, it will let him down. She’s always been in competition with her younger brother, whom is working in a very successful business after getting his degree in business management.

My wife isn’t the most academic, but when you meet her she’s so caring, loving and warm and I’m struggling to come to terms with the fact that she is seeking this counselling. I feel somewhat responsible for her depression as I don’t believe she was depressed when we first met nearly 9 years ago.

I don’t know how I can cure her of this condition or how I can make things better, all I do know is that I feel like the bad guy for what she’s going through.

We’re attending her uncle’s funeral tomorrow (on her dad’s side) which is going to be an incredibly emotional day for all involved. Apart from “be there” for her, I don’t know what I can do to help her through the day and try to prevent anything triggering her depression.

This is an extremely personal issue for me, and I know that the LPU family will always be there to help it’s fallen soldiers.

This is one of those times I need some help.

Please.

4 Likes

Man I’m sorry to hear that. From the info you’ve provided I wouldn’t say it’s your fault and personally I don’t see what else you’d be able to do for her. Hopefully the sessions will work, but being there for her can be more vital that you think.

3 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping man. She’s got 11 more sessions weekly. It’s too early to say whether or not the counselling is working. I just hope she gets something positive from it.

And with Christmas coming up, hopefully that will cheer her up.

1 Like

hey @boxman_619 :hugging: it is a harder part of the way right now…try not to analise it over kinda mindrollercoaster… take her in ya arms… kiss her and tell her :“We make it baby” … “together” and hug her deepest then, try not to become silent, let her take part inyouas you want to be part of her ok?Call me if ya need more Aron! :wink:

edit: lol and try to listen to tfk music instead of aggro techno!

Depression is serious, and to be honest, there’s not much to do other than be there in whatever way you feel is best.
I hope for the best for your wife, the sessions will be good for her in the long run! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Pat, thank you for your reply - it means a lot.

I am analysing it because I feel somewhat responsible. All I want is for her to be better.

I’m not looking forward to the funeral tomorrow at all. I’m so anxious for her.

We’ve been giving the aggrotech a little rest and listening to Christmas music. lol

Thank you so much for your kind words Eva.

No doubt that as soon as I get any updates. I will let you all know.

1 Like

A very close friend of mine struggled with depression so I know what it’s like. Just hang in there, it’ll get better :slight_smile:

Are they cured now? How did they get over it?

Yeah, therapy helped a lot! And of course time.

That’s really good. It sounds like she might on the right track to sort herself out. Thanks for giving me a little more hope, Eva. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t blame yourself, it’s not your fault. Therapy helps a lot, keep it up. Our LPU family will help you out don’t loose hope :hugs:

1 Like

Agree 100% with the Person above me !

Ups confusing threads!

Going through a depression is heavy for both the patiënt and the people who are close to the patiënt. Please do not blame yourself for her condition. Of course we want to protect those we love from all harm and instantly fix their problems. If only things were that simple, huh?

A depression doesn’t occur overnight. It usually sneaks up on a person and becomes heavier to the point that others start to notice. The fact that your wife is seeking professional help is a good step towards restoration. Like everyone’s already said in their replies before me; All you can do is give it time, be there, lend her a shoulder to cry on or an ear to talk to and just love her. Probably the most important thing you can, really.

What you could consider to do also, if you already haven’t: Aside from therapy for patients, a lot of counselors also provide information and counseling to people who are close with the patient.

Wishing you all the best during these days man. Hope the Christmas vibe will lighten things up a bit for the both of you. Stay strong and hold on :slight_smile:

1 Like

@gatsie is spot on
I suffer from depression and anxiety myself and it does take time and it’s sucks ass to be honest. Bit as above listening, loving her etc it’s all you can do, also try doing little surprises for her or things you know she likes doing, make her smile.
I really hope she gets better soon :+1:t3:

1 Like

heeey @boxman_619 hope you guys got a good week? :slight_smile: Wish ya the best with all the power needed… :hugging:

1 Like