"One More Light" Mega-Topic, Out Now!

I remember finding Minutes to Midnight’s tracklist in 2007 (I was 11) after seeing an ad on YouTube and thinking that the band had gone downfill because they made a song about Valentine’s Day. I hadn’t even heard the album yet

1 Like

I was that kind of kid who since 2007 and 2009 “followed” the band only when they released new music or singles, in a superficial/normal way, I liked what they were putting out anyway without being able to find any flaw, I think it was more by me lol

Then after THP year, I had a wider open mind with music by other artists,and when I discovered they were making the new album one year ago, there is when I really followed their path, LPTV stuff, making of albums, and listened to their past work with more attention, so, that’s why I ended in this forum with open expectations and a whole picture of what they’ve done and what music making, innovation/creativity means (that was more by my college career) :sweat_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5QQF_EaFWE
This guy…

I don’t think it is a good idea for linkin park to go back to their so called original sound. If they were to release an album which resembled their earlier sound again, the risks they decided to take right from the minutes to midnight era would all be futile. The whole journey would make no sense if you end right where you started. It is a good thing that they are coming out with sounds they have never come before which, in a way, shows that they are still in the game.

6 Likes

I think what’s most infuriating lately is that people don’t know the difference between criticism and hate. Criticism is okay, hate is not. Criticism is politely stating your opinion in a manner that thoroughly develops your thoughts on something, whether that be music, movies, or any art form. Hate is being a jerk about it, attacking and insulting the integrity of both the creators and the people who enjoy the content. Its okay to not like something, but you also need to be okay with other people liking something you don’t and vice versa.

7 Likes

I’m saying this with no actual research, but I feel like the people that demand Hybrid Theory 2™ are in the monitory, they’re just much more vocal about it. Plus, even if they got it, they wouldn’t care that much. They are just people that want a reason to be upset.

Rap-rock isn’t that popular anymore. Not to say that Linkin Park is making One More Light pop-like because the genre is popular, but making that new nü metal album that it seems like everyone wants would probably end up only pleasing a small amount of people in the big picture. After all, Linkin Park has been making “experimental” music now much longer than they were making stuff like Hybrid Theory

10 Likes

Mainly, I don’t see a lot of changes in rock. I mean, there are some groups that are trying to do something different. I’m probably not gonna say that rock is dead, but I think a lot of groups are doing the same boring thing - or may be my “rock knowledge” is not wide enough. I listen to all kinds of music: from hip hop, rnb, and some pop to metal (I still can’t listen to death metal and things like Slayer) Anyway, we all have different tastes, and different opinions on the matter of music😌
I remember my dad played HT to me when I was 4 (I’m 20 now), and I don’t want 2nd HT now)

6 Likes

I would like to know how much you guys must have gotten used to heavy and bs by now. How much would you rate each out of 10? (Pls let me know if you have already done this b4)

2 Likes

I would give Heavy 8/10, and BS at least 9/10. I like Heavy - it’s cool to sing :joy: But it’d be better if Chester would sing Kiiara’s part. I like how he sang it on the radio with Mike the other day

6 Likes

I like the vocal delivery and lyrics of BS better than Heavy, but Heavy has a better flow overall

3 Likes

First time I heard Heavy, I was in 6/10, then I got kind of influenced by “critique” comments and I was giving it a 3/10, now I ignore them and my actual rate is 7.5/10

For Battle Symphony, well as I said, I loved/felt the beat and rhythm, bassline, everything from the first time lol, same for Chester vocals, so I didn’t give a heck how much people hate because I already loved it without being influenced, 9.5/10 for it .

4 Likes

Heavy for me is an 8.5/10 because of the emotional content and the catchiness. Battle Symphony is a 9/10 because Chester’s vocals blow me away and I like the bassline and instumentation.

5 Likes

Heavy - 7/10, it’s not a bad song. But the absence of guitars until the second chorus despite them being a 6 piece band is a turn off for me, plus that intro is awkward and the lyrics are a bit unoriginal. But it’s saved by it’s powerful vocals and the part when the full band powers through the electronic mix.

Battle Symphony is an 8.5/10, it’s a pretty good song. The problem with the song is that, again, the lyrics aren’t that original. They’re like a mix between Fight Song by Rachel Platten (and yes I know I’ve said that several times) and standard Linkin Park lyrics. However I really like the instrumentation here. That opening loop is super catchy and inviting, and then the chorus has a good use of the guitars to make a pop friendly sound.

Honestly, I hope at least one song on the album features a fun bassline. They have the capabilities to give Dave a shining moment on this album. Take some cues from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and funk this album up a bit!

7 Likes

I want Joe to get a distinctive part on the album too! Some part of the instrumentation can be his alone so as to give a break to the depressing/emotional themes of the album or something like that.:grin:

4 Likes

To me, it all comes down to having the guts to say that the music is indeed bad and not just something different they experimented with. I understand their reasons and the meaning behind it but hell, it is terrible and so not LP-ish. They’ve hit rock bottom with this one for me, unfortunately.

I haven’t listened to Battle Symphony but Heavy barely gets a 2/10.

6 Likes

Maybe the turntables will actually get a spot on the record for the first time since A Thousand Suns

5 Likes

I understand, but personally I like this. I can admit when they make bad music. Like I’ve said, Until It Breaks is terribly annoying, and so is One Step Closer and Crawling. Lies Greed Misery also makes that list for me, but I don’t hate this new stuff. I think it could be a lot better, but it’s not the worst thing I’ve ever heard, not even from this band.

4 Likes

Totally… I mean it’s ok. I actually appreciate people that recognise the good and the bad in a band and don’t just follow them because “they are my favorite band and everything they do is cool”.

In LP’s case with OML, I’ve seen so many different opinions and it’s kind of sad to see people calling other fans out for saying they don’t like Heavy or whatever because it’s not HT. That’s not the case at all, I don’t know how to explain it exactly, but at least for me, even Living Things and Recharged (yes, freaking Recharged!) were much better than this. Opinions always vary but I haven’t seen this much controversy between fans since ATS (maybe even more this time).

5 Likes

I can completely relate to how you must feel about heavy. However, I think it is an individualistic thing to get used to it and the song has grown on me exponentially. Still, it’s nice of you to stay honest.

1 Like

Eventually it will grow on most people, like always. I’m just not one of them… I’m one of the very few people in the world that still listen to specific genres and not everything. There are just some things I simply cannot stand.

2 Likes