Meeting of A Thousand Suns - Chester words in the end

Hello Guys,

Today I got Meeting of a Thousand Suns and I been watching it. If you have the possibility to check the DVD the final words of Chester. (Its on YouTube, I dont know if we are allowed to post the YouTube video of an official DVD)

He said:
"I feel like we start getting into really dangerous territory when we start trying to write around the idea of what some third-party thought of what of our music should be, "
“Let’s stop trying to do thing that other people want us to do, and let’s get back to just being fluid, and writing songs”
“Right now we’re working with like XXX deadline, and XXX, and both are things that don’t exist in our world. XXX is not down here with us. XXX doesn’t give a shit if we turn it in”

He said some things really special. It looks like they were forced to change their style. Like they were forced to do ATS as it is. I mean, I was one of the ones that liked ATS from the beginning but I loved Linkin Park for Meteora and Hybrid Theory. I’d love to hear your opinions about this.

What do you think?

It’s not so much that they were forced to change their sound, it was a conscious decision by all six of them from the start. Same with Minutes, as it’s explain in the first 43 seconds of this video.

Linkin Park came into the industry, much like many other bands, with a “nü metal” sound, which at the time, helped solidify a solid fan base. As Linkin Park grew older, their sound evolved and MTM was an album that allowed them to push themselves outside the nü metal box and experiment with different sounds.

As much as people say it’s “all Rick Rubin’s fault” for their change in direction, I think Rubin’s been more or less behind them in their decision to move on. For me personally, that’s one thing that’s kept me interested in Linkin Park, because they aren’t afraid to change their sound.

They make the music they want to make. The third party Chester refers to are critics or other people trying to set boundaries for them or put them back in the nü metal box so-to-speak.

I didn’t get the feeling that LP was forced to make ATS, or was forced to change their sound, from that snippet of Chester’s. Throughout the videos, you can see their enthusiasm for the songs they were creating, and the ones that eventually became the album. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t know if they’d be as excited if they were forced to create them.

During the videos, they kept talking back and forth about how certain songs should sound and then radio versions or whatever, and they kept debating how to go about creating the single. It seems to me that if they were being forced to create a certain sound, they wouldn’t have much to debate about whether or not this song would make a good single or if they should choose and upbeat song.

I feel Chester’s point was more to address the fact that there are people who haven’t progressed with them, and liked only maybe HT or Meteora and expect them to stick to that. Those people would like to dictate to LP how they should sound, and probably some high-end people out there are trying to impose upon them, and they need to find a way to handle these people (not so much the fans). Chester is saying that he wants them to ignore everything and everyone and just write and experiment instead of trying to contain they creativity withing deadlines or what-have-you. Besides, why should they listen to someone who is not there and, in the end, won’t care whether or not they deliver, because they will just move on to the next band who they think will make them a pretty penny? That’s what I grasped from Chester at the end of the Meeting, at least.

You know what, i totally agree with LP13413. And although people say that “Its all Rick Rubins fault” i really dont think that is the case, If anything Rubin bettered LP making them a much stronger group of guys, He made them realise that its okay to try new things, and as we can see with ATS we really know that LP isn’t afraid of what people may think, they go with what they like, and they always know that they will have some sort of fans that will love what they have done.

I mean, isnt that why we are all here. Everyone here isnt saying “oh im here because i only like HT and Meteora” no, we are saying things like “i love LP because of all of there albums”

Im sure, i am not the only one who fell in Love with MTM as well as ATS, as a matter of fact, the first time i heard LP was MTM, i was only 11 of 12 years old at the time and i went backwards from there, meaning, then i discovered HT and Meteora…

Im really excited for the next LP album because i am so curious on the sound. But no matter what, i will always be a die hard Linkin Park fan!

In past LPU years, there were people who only liked Hybrid Theory and Meteora. But they renewed for other reasons, like spending time on the boards, mainly reconnecting with friends they made in the High Command section. Other fans of the old sound renewed just to troll.

Yes I love his “speech” there it really bonds the band together at that point :smiley:

I certainly do not believe that they were forced to change their sound. They simply wanted to get out of cause everyone was re creating what they’ve done in the past. With MTM they introduced us to a new sound and they continued with ATS (and I believe they will with the new one as well) and with that, they gained new fans, they lost some.
Those words at the end of the making of are very inspiring and from what I saw, It must have been a very stressful album to make. I loved the fact that Mark captured every emotion/feeling and little arguments they had. He hadn’t done that in the previous records and I believe it’s great to see what a band has been through to make a record; the ups and the downs, the good and the bad times.
And I certainly am one of the supporters of ATS. For some reason this album has touched me in a special way the others haven’t. I love all albums but I may argue with the statement that HT is the best album of theirs. I strongly believe ATS is much better. Just my opinion tho :slight_smile:

PS. I agree with the guys above. Rick is an amazing producer and he made them feel safe, if I may say, with changing their sound and doing what their hearts told them to do. He has shown how supportive he is towards them and he was there every minute they wanted an “outside of the band” opinion.

[quote=EvoOba]I certainly do not believe that they were forced to change their sound. They simply wanted to get out of cause everyone was re creating what they’ve done in the past. With MTM they introduced us to a new sound and they continued with ATS (and I believe they will with the new one as well) and with that, they gained new fans, they lost some.
Those words at the end of the making of are very inspiring and from what I saw, It must have been a very stressful album to make. I loved the fact that Mark captured every emotion/feeling and little arguments they had. He hadn’t done that in the previous records and I believe it’s great to see what a band has been through to make a record; the ups and the downs, the good and the bad times.
And I certainly am one of the supporters of ATS. For some reason this album has touched me in a special way the others haven’t. I love all albums but I may argue with the statement that HT is the best album of theirs. I strongly believe ATS is much better. Just my opinion tho :)[/quote]

Well said I don’t believe LP was forced into it, this is shown through many interviews with them were they say they could happly make another HT but they just feel like something new!
Anyway I am glad they did even though it was a bold move :slight_smile:

Indeed nice camera work…hope they do it for the new one too!

Do not misunderstand me. I love ALL the CDs, I love MTM and ATS. I´m not the one that only likes HT and Meteora. And in my opinion ATS has the best lyrics.

Now that I read your opinions I understood what Chester was trying to say. It is really great to see how hard they worked to get the album.

[quote=Tomas Villar][/quote]

Don’t worry we didn’t think u hated ATS!

Glad to hear we could help u :smiley:

The first 2 XXX and the last 1 XXX are different. Let’s call the last XXX you spoke of as XYZ

I don’t think the XYZ would force them to change their sound because XYZ would want their hallmarked band to sell out so XYZ would rather a Hybrid Theory part 3.

My favorite album is Minutes to Midnight~ ATS hmm… Just not the album I would prefer :confused: Read my 1st blog to find out why…

Add me guys if you want to!! New here :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with LP123413.
I also can’t remember where I heard it, but I think one of the XXXs were Warner Bros, something about them putting pressure on Linkin Park. Again this may just be a rumor, I’m unsure :]

I just hope in the next album they do what they want to do, but maybe have a few songs reminiscent of Hybrid Theory/Meteora. But that’s just me. ;]

I don’t think that they were “forced” to change their sound for ATS, I think the point Chester was making was that the 3rd parties thought they knew what the “Linkin Park sound” was and should be. Honestly from the getgo it has always been a fusion of different genres of music (hence the name of Hybrid Theory which fit the groups music style). Reanimation was a taste of what was to come.

Honestly if ATS was the last album that LP had released and then decided to split up, I would understand. You can see how frustrated they were while trying to make this album, unlike in the DVD’s for the making of Meteora (trying to scare each other at the hotel…A classic moment) or Minutes To Midnight (actually recording songs at the Laurel Canyon House). To me, Meeting of A Thousand Suns, showed a different side of the band to us.

Everytime I see MOATS, it gets me wondering as to whom they are referring to since the names we can’t decipher the names…

[quote=jadedjcBXNYC]I don’t think that they were “forced” to change their sound for ATS, I think the point Chester was making was that the 3rd parties thought they knew what the “Linkin Park sound” was and should be. Honestly from the getgo it has always been a fusion of different genres of music (hence the name of Hybrid Theory which fit the groups music style). Reanimation was a taste of what was to come.

Honestly if ATS was the last album that LP had released and then decided to split up, I would understand. You can see how frustrated they were while trying to make this album, unlike in the DVD’s for the making of Meteora (trying to scare each other at the hotel…A classic moment) or Minutes To Midnight (actually recording songs at the Laurel Canyon House). To me, Meeting of A Thousand Suns, showed a different side of the band to us.

Everytime I see MOATS, it gets me wondering as to whom they are referring to since the names we can’t decipher the names…

[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more.

[quote=EvoOba][quote=jadedjcBXNYC]I don’t think that they were “forced” to change their sound for ATS, I think the point Chester was making was that the 3rd parties thought they knew what the “Linkin Park sound” was and should be. Honestly from the getgo it has always been a fusion of different genres of music (hence the name of Hybrid Theory which fit the groups music style). Reanimation was a taste of what was to come.

[quote=EvoOba]I certainly do not believe that they were forced to change their sound. They simply wanted to get out of cause everyone was re creating what they’ve done in the past. With MTM they introduced us to a new sound and they continued with ATS (and I believe they will with the new one as well) and with that, they gained new fans, they lost some.
And I certainly am one of the supporters of ATS. For some reason this album has touched me in a special way the others haven’t. I love all albums but I may argue with the statement that HT is the best album of theirs. I strongly believe ATS is much better. Just my opinion tho :slight_smile:

PS. I agree with the guys above. Rick is an amazing producer and he made them feel safe, if I may say, with changing their sound and doing what their hearts told them to do. He has shown how supportive he is towards them and he was there every minute they wanted an “outside of the band” opinion.[/quote]
Totally agree with this!

Those last words of that dvd were definately my favorite ones

[quote=StanleyElite][quote=EvoOba][quote=jadedjcBXNYC]I don’t think that they were “forced” to change their sound for ATS, I think the point Chester was making was that the 3rd parties thought they knew what the “Linkin Park sound” was and should be. Honestly from the getgo it has always been a fusion of different genres of music (hence the name of Hybrid Theory which fit the groups music style). Reanimation was a taste of what was to come.

Couldn’t agree more.[/quote]

U certainly summed it up VERY well congrats!
well said

[quote=LP13413][/quote]
I agree with what LP13413 said! And if you watch several interviews, it’s very clear, that they dont get forced to make any type of music. Far from it! Mike and Chester often explained, that they want to make music on a different way, something new, with different sounds. I guess it would become boring to make a “Hybrid Theory” album for the x time.
Don’t know exactly who is meant with Chesters critics. I guess he was pissed, cause there are many people outside the band, who want to interfere.
The record label certainly set a deadline. So that sucks, if you just want to make the best music you can and somebody tells you, when you have to be finished.
I really love ATS and also MTM and I guess Rick Rubin did a good job also. He is maybe something like a moderator. He tells them what he thinks about the new stuff and he also comes with impulses. I can imagine, when you work on a song it’s hard to consider all 6 band members ideas. And if you did it finally, than someone like Rick comes with his ideas. I guess that could be confusing and put you on ways, you actually don’t want to walk. And you become to move in circles. So maybe Chester meant, that they just have to be focused on their job and dont accept too many ideas from other people.