Eternally Grateful

For me, personally, it’s time to do away with the #RIPChester hashtag and time to say #thankyouChester.

It wasn’t easy moving to Brisbane from Sydney last year; it wasn’t easy leaving behind my father, a couple of good friends, a community of people and the comfort of familiarity, particularly while struggling with anxiety and depression. However, a year later I finally feel settled here - I’m actually a lot happier here - and Chester Bennington, the late lead singer of Linkin Park, is partially to thank for that.

Here’s why:

When I arrived in Brisbane, I sought to replace what I’d lost in terms of community and friendship, but it never felt right because I was trying to force it; I was trying to fit in for the sake of fitting in. The last thing on my list of things to do in order to feel settled here was to find a group of people to connect with, without compromising my idiosyncratic values. To be honest, I had come to terms with the fact that I might not find what I was looking for, so I stopped looking and that was a good thing because it made me closer to my family.

Then, on the 20th of July, 2017, out of nowhere, Chester Bennington committed suicide. So many fans, including myself, should be forgiven for feeling lonelier than we ever had before because, for the last 20 years, his music was what we turned to when we felt loneliest of all. We didn’t count on the fact, though, that Chester’s legacy would extend so far beyond his life’s work as a musician.

The past two weeks have been occupied with grief and heightened emotions for all Linkin Park fans, but also with connection. I want to say thank you to Chester for bringing all of his fans together, all across the world - none of us will ever be alone again thanks to you. I, personally, have already made a great group of friends in the aftermath of Chester’s passing and the memorial is still yet to occur.

#Chesterslegacy #eternallygrateful #thankyouChester Alison Bec Belle Bernardette Chauntelle Jhett Katie Kiesha Luke Manda Melissa Mike Olivia Patch Pei Rachelle Tenzee

3 Likes

Is good see how some soldiers are taking the past away of Chester. I begin to use the HT #ThankYouChester.

1 Like

Although saddened and still in shock, I too am eternally grateful to Linkin Park and especially to Chester. He will forever live inside each one of us. This band, this community, is part of my soul. Linkin Park set out to change the world, and I believe they have accomplished that. xoxo

1 Like

Revive. Hello fellow Brisbanite :grin: want a friend? I have so few brisbane friends who want to discuss lp with me…again lol