Cowgill Frat Boi

Intellectual architects usually design knowing that their designs will never be built. This allows their designs to have much more freedom in terms of what is possible. Their goal is to experiment and study different ideas and theories rather than create physical buildings.

When designing projects to be constructed engineers always need to be consulted. For smaller projects the architect can draw up the structural plans themselves and have the engineer check over it. For larger plans they will work hand in hand with the engineer designing the structural system as the architect shapes the building. Good architects have an understanding of engineering and will usually know if their building can support itself or not.

3 Likes

There was actually an architect who came to talk to us last year, Marlon Blackwell, who has actually won nation awards for his designs with a limited budget. There was one particular project, a church, that was incredible to see what he made with what he was provided. A group had this tiny warehouse off the highway that they wanted him to turn into their church. He was able to absolutely transform it using windows, a few walls, and a splash of color. They had wanted a dome, but couldn’t afford to construct a domed roof, so he used a satellite dish from the dump to create a domed interior roof :joy:.

It isn’t always the size of the building or the materials you use, but also the way you can effectively use all the space you are provided that allow you to make great architecture. There are numerous projects that are tiny, simple buildings but are still considered great architecture because of the way they can shape the space they are given effectively to create grand experiences.

3 Likes

If it wasn’t for the cross on the outside, that would legit look like an engineering lab. :joy:

2 Likes

Nah but you can jerry rig anything to be badass if people don’t care how you do it :rofl:

You won’t have a legit large scale project do that :joy: though it’d be hella funny to see the whole building process :flushed:

That actually looks really cool :sweat_smile:
Simplistic and modern

2 Likes

Finay i dropped on this thread lol. I am looking forward for the projects :blush: tho i don’t have much building skills and practice like you and @the_termin8r but always excited and curious to know more about it. Tag me when you post any of the projects as I’ve been a bit of due to uncertain stupid reasons. Tags send me emails so I’ll know when it’s up!
Goodluck :sparkles:

2 Likes

Moped Project
First Year

As a first year student I was assigned a studio professor (later years are allowed to choose their own). I was placed into Chris’s studio (in architecture we call everybody by their first name, no matter what their position within the college). He was a chill dude probably in his early 30s. As a first year studio professor he wasn’t limited to just architecture (architecture, industrial design, landscape architecture, and interior design first years all take it together so its more artistic and abstract) so we experimented with a lot of different and cool ideas and projects this year.

He was my first real taste of architecture so many of my architectural beliefs came from him. The biggest and most prominent idea that he passed on to me was honesty in architecture. During our first year competition (I’ll go more into this project in a later post) we were discussing some projects as an entire class (all 7 studios together, like 150 kids). Chris began talking about one of them. It was a project with a rod standing straight up, embedded into a concrete cube base and supporting a white sphere at the top. Chris said he was intrigued by it because the sphere was white and looked to be made of plaster, but casting such a perfect plaster sphere was near impossible. After touching it he realized it was actually a Styrofoam sphere made to look like plaster. He then talked to us, explaining that he felt lied to by the kid and his project. He talked about it for quite a while and the idea of honest architecture really resonated with me. However, its not just with materials but structure as well. Many buildings hide their structure behind drywall and drop ceilings, keeping the occupants in the dark as to how it supports itself. However, I believe that buildings that emphasize and embrace their structure, showcasing it to its occupants, can create a stronger connection with said occupants creating a more impactful and meaningful experience.

moped

Our first day of first year Chris jumpstarted us straight into our first project, the Moped Project. As a group of college freshmen in our first week of school we were tasked with disassembling a moped, categorizing and organizing all its parts, creating technical drawings of each part, scanning the drawings into the computer, and reassembling the moped using the drawings on Photoshop. I was skeptical at first but we jumped right into it. First we discussed a method of organization for the parts, eventually settling on a numbering system where each major part of the moped was given a number and its internal pieces were decimals of that number (ex. if the engine was 1 then its internal parts were 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.). After that we began slowly removing pieces from the bike to draw. At first (like the shy boi I am) I was more in the background, but as the days past I started to get more comfortable with the project and taking a more active role in the group. My first few drawings were a little rough as I’d never made a technical drawing before but as I got the hang of using the different tools (compass, T-square, scale, etc.) it got a little better:

43%20EDITED%20jpeg%20medium

9%20EDITED%20jpeg%20medium

Those were the two that I actually cleaned up to scan in to contribute to the Photoshop image. I attempted to help with however I had never used Photoshop before and wasn’t much help at all :joy:. Chris had informed us that this project would be displayed in the lobby once it was completed so we needed to create something to showcase the project. We obviously would have the Photoshopped image, but we needed more. We ended up deciding that we would create graphics that displayed our organizational method as well as statistics about the moped and the project. In addition we would nail all the individual pieces to a large piece of plywood to create an exploded view of the bike. I spent like all of my weekend in the lobby helping to nail the pieces in (its very difficult to nail metal moped pieces onto a sheet of wood so that they will stay when the board is turned vertical :joy:) but in my opinion it turned out awesome. After a little over a month of work, here’s the final results:

POSTER%201%20(GENEOLOGY)%202%20jpeg%20medium

POSTER%202%20(GRAPHICS)%202%20jpeg%20medium

Copy%20of%20Moped_INVERTED_092917%20medium

Moped%20Lobby

Like I said the project was very abstract and not very architectural but it was still very fun and a cool experience. I later learned that I got very lucky in getting Chris. Many of the other studios did more traditional projects, so we were the envy of everybody else in architecture. I’ll try and be more diligent about posting these so that I can catch up to present day. @Honey8 told me she wants to be tagged in the future, if anyone else wants to be as well let me know. Thanks! :grin:

9 Likes

I have two theories. The first is that you walked into the wrong lecture on that day (A mech eng one to be specific), the second is that you don’t actually know what course you’ve chosen. :joy:

How long did it take to draw all the threads on that rod?

I tried it once, I was permanently traumatised that day. I have PS Elements on my laptop, but only because my dad bought it for his laptop.

If you had more time you could have made a large cube frame with a thick mesh for the top face and then suspended all the components from the top with fishing line or something to make a 3D exploded view. It would take ages, but I think it would look awesome.

Is Chris an ex-engineer or something? lol I wish actual engineering project were like this though. :confused:

3 Likes

Hey @jrtrussell
thank you for sharing this!
I had real fun reading! Your passion comes with every word.
And I just had to google this:

Seems your college is a great, inspiring place!

:heart: :heart:

Don’t let me interrupt your conversation with Rob. Like to follow too.

Please, tag me for more! :hugs:

1 Like

Lol. Wait until you see our next project :joy: looking back at it I hadn’t realized how many engineering-like projects we did. :thinking:

Oof. Those took forever. It took a few hours to share them all. Measuring everything out and drawing all the lines probably took over a day.

We get all those programs with my major. I’ve gotten decent at illustrator but I still suck at photoshop. I did a little with it at the end of this past year tho. I plan to use it more in the future.

Yea. That woulda been dope. We were limited in time and materials tho so we had to make do.

Lol nah. He graduated from the same program I’m in right now. He was in the military for a bit until he came back to teach. Besides being a professor he works on his farm. He’s built a whole lotta crazy structures on his farm so he prob has some kinda engineering experience. His main love is graphic design tho. He designs a lot of posters for the school and the town. He’s a really dope dude. Cool guy to hang out with and talk to.

2 Likes

We get literally nothing. We get temporary student access to MS Office and that’s because we’re uni students, it’s not because of our course specifically. I only have bootlegged software and legit student trials annd/or versions of other legit ones. :joy:

1 Like

Thank you for the tag! :smiley: I really loved the end result of the project and lol i can see how much hard you worked to nail metal moped pieces onto a sheet of wood :laughing: And one more thing i liked was that image which displays different parts of the bike like an index. It seems pretty cool. I heard somewhere you draw really bad i think that was real or i mis read it lol !

Keep tagging in the following posts to its very nice to read such journals :smile:

2 Likes

The OP? :joy:

2 Likes

lol, I guess in the OP I was referring to the type of artistic drawing people post onto here. Besides crude sketches I cannot free-draw. Technical drawing (as shown in my post) is different. It relies entirely on tools and measurements, so there really isn’t a creative aspect to it.

3 Likes

Aye Aye! you remember pretty well! smarty :joy:

Is still a drawing :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Technically it still is. I just consider it to be in a different category than the type of drawings you do.

3 Likes

yep. But i am sure you are good in proportions than me.

1 Like

Technical drawings are easy because you’re drawing exactly to a spec, so you know exactly how it should look. There’s no guessing and eyeballing it. If tech drawings were eyeballed, the first 747s would have fallen out of the sky like rain. Buildings wouldn’t survive a mouse sneeze and nothing would ever work. :joy:

3 Likes

:joy: why only 747?

1 Like

It was just an example. People don’t actually appreciate how old the 747 is.

2 Likes

Tower Project
First Year

Oof. Here we go again. Sorry for the wait.

This next project has 2 parts: a study part (intended to teach us the importance of study models) and the final product. The initial prompt given to us for the first part was to design and construct a tower capable of supporting the size and weight of a cue ball six inches off the ground. And it has to be made out of spaghetti :joy:. This one was a fun project. I’ve built many popsicle stick and toothpick bridges in my day so I was excited. Used to the triangle and trusses I utilized so often in my bridge models, I immediately defaulted to those. Many others went straight for blocky towers causing them to be incredibly unstable and often shatter under the weight of the cue ball. I was unsure of my design at first but I soon realized that I greatly overestimated the weight of a cue ball :joy:. When competed my design could easily support much more than the weight of a single cue ball.

image1
Unfortunately this is the only picture of it that I still have. It was designed in a plus shape from above and gently tapered in toward the top where I build a little basket to hold the cue ball. Upon realizing how strong it truly was, we were gonna test it with a bunch of concrete pieces around studio. However, it got knocked to the floor a few times by stray elbows and broke :joy:.

Once completing that first stage of the project we moved on to the real test: design and construct a tower capable of supporting the size and weight of a cue ball 3 feet off the ground. However, this time we were to use bass wood. In addition, it had to have a “skin” of a different material, a base, and a graphic representing it. I ended up sticking with a similar design to my spaghetti model except scaled up to 3 feet tall. The tower itself had 3 sections: the base, the body, and the head/basket. The skin was a thin plastic sheet I bought that I attached the sides, about a quarter inch off the main structure, emphasizing the “plus shape.” The base of the tower was a wooden cylinder with the top face cut at an angle. The tower attached to it with dowels along its base that inserted into the wooden base. Because of the angle cut into the wooden base’s top face some of the dowels were more exposed than others, giving it the look of a pier emerging from the water with a wave passing by (which was my inspiration for it).

I ended up building a few study models of each section out of my spaghetti (I still have some left over, I keep it just in case I need it for whatever reason :joy:) to test out size and proportions. After I was satisfied I moved on to building the actual model. I think it was during this project that I realized my love and apparent talent for model making. I think it was a combination of my previous experience building various stick models and my perfectionist approach that really helped my models come out so well. The hardest part of this was definitely getting all the angles and lengths correct. Most were pretty straight forward, but the diagonal pieces were legit trial and error. I would cut out a bunch until one fit perfectly and then do my best to imitate that piece for the rest. Eventually, after a few weeks, working my way up one section at a time, it was completed.

image3%20(2)

DSC_4946

DSC_5131

DSC_5132

Overall I feel alright about it. It isn’t my favorite project but still turned out pretty cool in my opinion. Now all that was left was the graphic representing our tower. This was left pretty open for what we wanted to do. Originally I wanted to create an artistic piece showing my towers unrelenting epicness. However, I soon realized that my lack of photoshop skills would prevent this from happening. After exploring a few different options I eventually decided to create a digital technical drawing that showed the structure of the tower. I wanted the graphic to show the side and top views of each section, with the side views having cutaways to show the structure of the tower beneath the skin. It took quite some time, mostly because I had no experience using Adobe Illustrator before this. I mostly self taught myself the program with my brother helping my a little bit when I came home for the weekend.

Graphic%20Final%20jpeg

I ended up being pretty proud of the graphic. This was the first digital graphic I had every made so it was a new experience for me. It also gave me the opportunity to learn a new program. Illustrator has ended up becoming my favorite program to create these kinds of graphics with.

This was a pretty cool project, especially since it was my first taste of an individual architecture project in college. Many of the other kids in my studio chose a more artistic route, creating more artistic towers than my structural tower (realizing that bass wood didn’t need much structure to support a cue ball :joy:). The others were all pretty dope for the most part. It was pretty interesting to see how different people interpret the same prompt like this. However I think that the sheer density of my structure coupled with its craftsmanship helped it stand out among the crowd. I actually still have it. Its sitting on the “architecture model table” behind me and my spaghetti study models are sitting next to me at my desk.

I still have a few free days before classes start back up for me and the next 2 projects are pretty short so I’ll try and get those up soon. Thanks for reading! :grin:

@Honey8
@anna834

7 Likes