What are you listening to this minute? Just curious

Cold World (album) - Of Mice & Men

I’m giving it another listen just to see what I’m missing that everyone else seems to love.

blowing the mind freeee with this

Don’t you mean hate? All the comments I’ve seen on their YT vids are just hate.

Yes I’ve already bought tickets for Hurricane Festival and last week they announces that Green Day are playing :heart_eyes:

I haven’t checked YT comments to be honest but their Twitter and Facebook are filled with love.

But did you say there was a lot of backlash with one of the songs they released before the rest of the album?

It was Real if I remember correctly, some loved it and some hated it. Now all I see is everyone saying how awesome the album is. I just don’t see it, I’ve only spoken with 2 people that thought it was average.

Am I one of them or do I make 3? :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL, you make 3.

1 Like

Hurricane festival is generally in the June-July period, right? 10months in advance. Wow! Have fun :slight_smile:

Can someone with knowledge enlighten me what does the lead musician do in the orchestra when almost everyone seems to be reading the music sheets? Pardon my lack of knowledge in the matter.

Do you mean the conductor (the bloke waving the twig around like a mad man)?

The conductor or the lead of each instrument?

Yes. I don’t even know the terminology. I have been told that he is the one who guides everyone, but I dont see how he does that.

edit: @evooba there are 2 of them? :stuck_out_tongue: Please explain the purpose of both of them.

No I never understood it either since as you said they all have sheet music. Also I don’t understand the purpose of the lead of each instrument.

booooo
orchestras are great :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

back on topic

I don’t know much either and have no idea what the conductor is supposed to be doing. I do know that every orchestra has sections, like a violin section, a cello section etc. In each one, a musician usually is the lead instrument, aka the best one of the group that covers solos and all that and is responsible of guiding that group of instruments.

But I don’t understand why they need guidance. Do they not practice? Do they have no clue what they’re playing?

They do but since there are a lot of them, they need to be in sync and not mess up. Someone has to keep the rhythm, someone else deals with harmonies, etc.

It’s like with guitars, you have a lead and rhythm guitar (sometimes more but it’s less common). Orchestras are the same, just in a larger scale.

Ok. So the lead is more like the main singer with others being backing vocals. This is a crude analogy but this is exactly what came to my mind when you said lead of each instrument. But then I never knew someone like this existed. I thought they decided who-will-play-what during the practice sessions basis their abilities.