Learning German

Alright then I will do it on Sunday- what do you think about me doing the persons and the verbs to be and to have?

3 Likes

Do however you want, you run the thread as well lol

The pronunciation and spelling is a biiiit tricky… especially of long words… :see_no_evil: :muscle: :muscle:

1 Like

That thread reminds me of my dad when I was 5 he’s teaching me German Christmas carols :laughing:

1 Like

@theearlywalker’s blamage:

blamage

4 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: - nice share: netter Beitrag

Alright guys- here we go with our first german grammar lesson. Since every sentence has a predicate — i.e., verb, we gonna look at the three most important ones today. The predicate determines the structure of each sentence, any insights into the function and usage of verbs can help much to the understanding of the language.

The top 3 german verbs are not only words with common meanings on their own- but they also serve as auxiliary verbs in German.

1. sein (to be)

2. haben (to have)
    (These two are both used as auxiliary verbs in forming the perfect tenses- but this comes later in our lessons)

3. werden (to become)
    ( is used as an auxiliary in forming the future tenses and the passive voice- but this will come later.)

A) the personal pronouns in german:

1. I : ich ( 1. pers. singular )
  2. you : du ( 2. pers singular )
  3. he : er ( 3. pers singular male)
  4. she : sie ( 3. pers singular female)
  5. it : es ( 3. pers singular neutral )
  6. we : wir ( 1. pers. plural )
  7. you : ihr ( 2. pers. plural )
  8. they : sie ( 3. pers. plural )

The personal pronouns are all written without capital letter at their beginning. Only if a sentence starts with them or if they are used as salutation - then they start with capital letter. The third person singular is always the same for all three sexes)

B) Declination
sein
Singular
Ich bin
Du bist
Er/sie/es ist
Plural
Wir sind
Ihr seid
Wir sind

haben
Singular
Ich habe
Du hast
Er/sie/es hat
Plural
Wir haben
Ihr habt
Wir haben

werden
Singular
Ich werde
Du wirst
Er/sie/es wird
Plural
Wir werden
Ihr werdet
Wir werden

Simple past tense
sein
Singular
Ich war
Du warst
Er/sie/es war
Plural
Wir waren
Ihr ward
Wir waren

haben
Singular
Ich hatte
Du hattest
Er/sie/es hatte
Plural
Wir hatten
Ihr hattet
Wir hatten

werden
Singular
Ich wurde
Du wurdest
Er/sie/es wurde
Plural
Wir wurden
Ihr wurdet
Wir wurden

5 Likes

I finaalllyyy camee here!

Ich liebe dich alle fur immur! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ok, time to get the first conversation skills:

A: Hallo!
B: Wie heißt Du?
A: Ich heisse … , und wie heißt Du?
B: Mein Name ist …
A: Woher kommt Du?
B: Ich komme aus …, und (woher kommst) Du?

Complete translation:
A: Hello !
B: Hi! What’s your name ?
A: My name is … , and what’s your name?
( attention! This is not a literal translation- in german we use the verb: “heissen” to say what our name is )
B: My name is … Where are you from?
A: I come from … - and (where do )you (come from ) ?

Tomorrow we will decline the verbs from this short conversation and then I would say we do a first test? What are you guys think?

2 Likes

Test!?I’m not ready! :see_no_evil: :scream:

Lol seems when a lil kid at school didn’t study… :joy: :joy: :crazy_face: :see_no_evil:

Ok,seriously… how many time do we have to do the test?

3 Likes

It was just a wake up call :blush:- happy that it worked! Now that I am on holidays we will have some lessons and repetitions before we do our first test :+1:t2:

1 Like

Okeeey! :blush: :grin: :muscle:

1 Like

:sunny: :hugs: @lpfan61 good girl :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I couldn’t help with this thread without you Pat :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Without you it wouldn’t exsist :blush: and we agreed to keep it running together :+1:t2: You can always add vocabulary-lesson if you like to?!! @chigokurosaki ?!! Let’s give some love into it the next weeks…:yellow_heart:

2 Likes

@liqs did you say you knew German?

Guys I just noticed now as I was trying to memorize them… The translation for “they” is wir or sie?? :exploding_head:

:point_down:

Third pers singular female she = sie

Third pers plural is they = sie

First pers plural is we = wir

The auto format is making me crazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

So is it a mistyping there?? because if you go back to the whole post in the declination there are 2 “wir” per verb… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Uuuups- yes :see_no_evil: one extra point for the very good aware student @lpfan61- thanx dear :hugs::kissing_heart:

2 Likes